Your family will love this easy chicken enchilada casserole recipe.
Even better this recipe for chicken enchilada casserole is super easy to make since it uses rotisserie chicken (or leftover chicken from your favorite recipe), canned enchilada sauce, canned beans, and shredded cheese.
Nothing could be as quick and easy as making this Mexican food casserole in under an hour. Serve at parties or for dinner.
Chicken enchilada layered casserole is a great recipe that will soon become a favorite crowd-pleasing comfort food.
How to make an easy chicken enchilada casserole recipe
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Prepare a 9"x13" casserole dish by lightly spraying it with cooking spray. (I like either olive oil or canola oil cooking spray.) Set it aside.
3. In a large bowl, stir together the red enchilada sauce and salsa. Then spread 1/2 cup of this mixture evenly on the bottom of the casserole dish.
4. Drain and rinse the black beans, pinto beans, and corn. Then stir the beans and corn into the enchilada sauce mixture.
5. Then stir in shredded rotisserie chicken.
6. Cut the tortillas with a knife or a pizza slicer. Then place in the casserole dish.
7. Cover the tortilla layer with a third of the beans and chicken mixture.
8. Next, sprinkle 1 cup of cheese over the beans and chicken mixture layer.
9. Repeat with another layer of tortillas. Then a layer of beans and chicken mixture.Then a layer of 1 cup cheese.
10. Add the remaining tortillas, then the remaining enchilada sauce mixture.
11. Finally, top the final layer of the chicken enchilada casserole with more cheese.
12. Before putting the casserole in the oven, lightly spray a piece of foil to prevent cheese from sticking. Then cover the casserole dish with foil.
13. Bake the casserole for 20 minutes. Then uncover and bake for another 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and melted.
14. Remove the enchilada casserole with chicken from the oven and let it sit for 5 minutes before serving.
15. Serve slices of enchilada casserole with your favorite additional toppings like sour cream or avocado.
Tips when making your chicken enchilada casserole
What kind of chicken do you want to use in this recipe for chicken enchiladas casserole?
Obviously, you want to use something that’s already cooked and ready to be turned into shredded chicken.
You can use cooked chicken breasts, thighs, or a whole chicken:
- Rotisserie chicken from the store
- Instant Pot Whole Chicken
- Crockpot Whole Chicken
- Easy Chicken Marinade (either grilled or oven roasted chicken)
Gluten free: If you’re gluten free, make sure that the enchilada sauce you’re using is gluten free.
You can use gluten free store bought enchilada sauces like:
(If you’re using a store brand of enchilada sauce, check the label to make sure it’s gluten free.)
Can I use green enchilada sauce? I’m more a fan of red enchilada sauces in recipes for chicken enchilada casserole. But if you want to use a green sauce, go ahead.
Tortillas: You can use flour tortillas or corn. If you’re gluten free, you should use corn tortillas (again, check the label to make sure their GF.)
I prefer the taste of corn tortillas over gluten free tortillas. They’re cheaper, too!
Health it up! Use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
Can I make my own chicken enchilada sauce?
If you’re not a fan of store-bought enchilada sauces, you can make your own. I recommend Emeril Lagasse’s Easy Enchilada Sauce recipe. (This is a red enchilada sauce.)
If you’re gluten free, just substitute an all purpose gluten free flour for the regular flour.
I recommend using an all-purpose gluten free flour like Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour. I love this product because it cooks up just like regular flour in my gluten free recipes.
Easy chicken enchiladas casserole variations
Beans, beans, beans: You can use any kind of beans you have on hand – black beans, kidney beans (light or dark red), pinto beans, red beans, and even refried beans.
Cheese: This recipe calls for a shredded Mexican blend cheese. If you like, change it up by using shredded Monterey Jack cheese, cheddar, or pepper jack.
Have fun and experiment when making easy chicken enchilada casserole recipes.
More terrific casserole recipes
If you love chicken, make Chicken Normandy Recipe à la Marie-Celine.
For breakfast, you can make the following casserole recipes:
- Crockpot Breakfast Casserole
- Overnight Breakfast Casserole
- Blueberry French Toast Casserole
- Easy Chorizo Breakfast Casserole
More awesome Mexican recipes
Besides this chicken enchiladas casserole recipe, if you love Mexican food, try out these dishes:
● Make Mexican Christmas Salad Recipe for Christmas Eve
- 3 cups cooked and shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 (19 ounce) can red enchilada sauce, mild or hot (gluten free)
- 1 cup salsa, mild or hot
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans
- 12 (6 inch) corn or flour tortillas, cut to fit baking dish
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can corn or 2 cups frozen corn, drained
- 3 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Chopped tomatoes
- Sliced green onions
- Sliced or whole black olives
- Sour cream
- Diced or sliced avocado
- Chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly spray a 9"x13" baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together enchilada sauce and salsa.
- Reserve 1 cup of enchilada sauce mixture.
- Spread about 1/2 cup sauce evenly on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Drain and rinse black beans, pinto beans, and corn. Stir into enchilada sauce mixture.
- Stir in shredded chicken.
- Cut tortillas and layer on the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Cover with one-third of the beans and chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese over beans and chicken mixture.
- Repeat with another layer of tortillas, beans, and chicken mixture, and then 1 cup of cheese.
- Add remaining tortillas and remaining 1/2 cup enchilada sauce mixture, then more cheese
- Lightly spray a piece of foil to prevent cheese from sticking. Then cover the casserole dish with foil.
- Bake covered for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove casserole from the oven and let it sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with your favorite additional toppings.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 498Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 122mgSodium: 772mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 8gSugar: 5gProtein: 41g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated per the ingredients list. Serving size may not be accurate. Please double-check with your preferred nutritional app for the most accurate information.