You’ll love this Easy Chorizo Breakfast Casserole for Cinco de Mayo celebrations or even Mother’s Day weekend.
This easy Mexican breakfast casserole also works as a weekday morning work meeting or teacher appreciation dish. You can bring it to work or school in an insulated casserole carrier.
The beauty of this chorizo breakfast casserole is that there’s so much flavor from the chorizo and salsa fresca that you don’t have to add any seasonings to the dish – not even salt. And it's naturally gluten free!
This Mama’s tips for making Mexican breakfast casseroles
This easy breakfast casserole can be prepared the night before so you can bake it up in the morning.
Feel free to substitute shredded Mexican blend cheese for queso fresco. A low fat version will work great in this easy healthy breakfast casserole recipe!
The easiest way to shred the sweet potatoes is in a food processor. Don't even think of using a box shredder! If you don't have a food processor, chop up the sweet potatoes in small pieces so they're easy to cook quickly.
Serve this Mexican breakfast casserole recipe in a pretty casserole dish right at the table.
I paired Easy Chorizo Breakfast Casserole with a traditional Mexican drink designed to cool off your palate – Quick & Healthy Horchata. It's a terrific drink for a Mexican style breakfast or brunch.
- 1 16-ounce container salsa fresco
- 1 red onion, cubed
- 1 sweet potato, shredded (leave the skin on)
- 6 eggs
- 8 1/2 ounces egg whites
- 1 pound chorizo
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- Queso fresco, crumbled (optional garnish)
- Cilantro, finely chopped (optional garnish)
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray a 9″x13″ baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Drain salsa fresca in a fine mesh colander. Set aside.
- Shred sweet potato using a food processor with the shredding attachment. Set aside.
- Place eggs and egg whites in a medium bowl. Whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Removed chorizo from casings, if necessary. Cook chorizo in a large skillet over medium-high heat, using a spatula to break into small pieces. Cook until browned and cooked completely through.
- Add onion and shredded sweet potato. Cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add salsa fresca and spinach to the skillet. Cook until spinach begins to wilt, about 4 minutes.
- Pour chorizo mixture into the prepared 9″x13″ baking dish. Using a spatula, spread evenly.
- Pour whisked eggs over the top. Make sure to mix the eggs into the chorizo mixture with a spatula.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. When done, the casserole middle should not be wiggly in the middle and the edges should be lightly browned.
- Remove from oven, garnish casserole with a light sprinkling of crumbled queso fresco and chopped cilantro if desired
- Allow casserole to cool for 5 minutes. Cut and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 410Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 200mgSodium: 1336mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 26g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated per the ingredients list. Serving size may not be accurate. Please double-check with your preferred nutritional app for the most accurate information.