The story behind my Chopped & Layered Taco Salad comes from my childhood. It was something my mom made all the time when I was growing up.
Even though she’s an amazing cook in her own right, she’d expand her repertoire by adopting others recipes, like her friend, Elizabeth’s, Layered Taco Salad. It was one of those retro, faux-Mexican dishes that we kids loved.
It combined cooked ground beef, taco seasoning, tubs of sour cream, crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheddar cheese, iceberg lettuce, and olives. I remember eating bowls of creamy taco salad as an afterschool snack.
Recreating a layered taco salad
I decided to recreate Elizabeth’s Layered Taco Salad as a chopped and layered taco salad. And I wanted to make it pretty by serving it in a trifle bowl.
I also wanted to turn it into a healthy taco salad by using more wholesome ingredients.
I was inspired by recipes like my Easy & Healthy Taco Soup and Best Slow Cooker Spicy Pulled Pork Tacos and ingredients like beans, corn, low fat shredded cheese, diced red onions, salsa, and homemade Greek yogurt guacamole.
This healthy taco salad recipe turned into such a hit with my kids that I make it at least once a month – and we rarely have leftovers.
It’s a shame, because I think Chopped & Layered Taco Salad tastes even better the second day.
So you have leftovers when you make it, double the recipe!
How to make Chopped & Layered Taco Salad even easier!
While you’re browning the meat over medium high heat, add your favorite taco seasoning, and 1/2 to 3/4 cup of water.
I use 3 tablespoons of my Homemade Taco Seasoning. Just remember to let the taco meat cool before using it in this layered taco salad recipe so you don’t wilt the lettuce.
Also, this easy taco salad recipe is a a great way to use up some of those broken up tortilla chips you’re left with at the bottom of a bag.
You’ll want to keep your broken tortilla chips in a Ziplock bag in the freezer so they don’t get stale and absorb any funky smells or flavors.
How to serve up this easy taco salad recipe
This easy taco salad recipe is easy to double, so it’s ideal to feed a party crowd.
Take this healthy taco salad on the go
I love the lugger bag since it keeps your easy taco salad cold and tidy. If anything spills, it’s kept inside the bag – and not all over your car. The straps make it easy to carry and it’s super cute, too!
Don’t forget those salad tongs, too! Nothing worse than asking your hostess for a serving spoon and all she has is a plastic fork! I love these because they can grab big portions of this yummy layered taco salad.
Love Mexican food? Here are a few Mexican recipes you'll adore:
Chopped & Layered Taco Salad
- 2 whole ripe avocados
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Hot sauce, to taste
- 1 pound ground meat (turkey or beef)
- 1 (12 ounce) package taco seasoning (or 3 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning)
- 4 cups chopped Romaine lettuce, divided
- 1 cup crumbled tortilla chips
- 1 cup salsa (your favorite style)
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn with red and green peppers, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup low fat Mexican style shredded cheese
- 3/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- To make the guacamole, cut the avocado in half. Remove the pit and scoop out the flesh with a spoon into a small bowl. Add the Greek yogurt, lime juice, salt, and hot sauce (to taste). Mash with a fork to break up avocado and stir until ingredients are combined.
- Cook taco meat. Let cool.
- Assemble the taco salad in a glass trifle bowl in the following order. The beef crumbles go at the bottom. Follow with half the Romaine lettuce. Then add the pinto beans, corn, salsa, tortilla chips, and remaining Romaine lettuce. Finally, add the guacamole, shredded cheese, chopped tomato, and diced red onion.
- Keep chilled until served.
- Serving size: varies
Originally published on August 12, 2015. Updated with new pictures and information.