Do you want to make an easy Mexican rice recipe for taco night just like restaurants serve?
You probably think an authentic Mexican rice recipe takes an hour to cook and involves exotic ingredients from your local carniceria.
Not to worry. It doesn't!
Actually, to make this easy 10 minute rice recipe, the only special ingredients you need are Minute instant rice and fresh cilantro.
The rest of the ingredients for this quick and easy Mexican rice recipe are probably in your pantry or spice rack!
It's the perfect rice for tacos recipe, when you’re making other types of Mexican recipes, or if you're grilling fish or chicken and need an easy side dish.
What is authentic Mexican rice?
What you may call authentic Mexican rice is also called Spanish rice or arroz rojo (literally red rice).
Even though it’s sometimes called Spanish rice, it’s not Spanish in origin.
It’s a Mexican side dish made by sautéing white rice in a skillet until it turns a golden brown. Then water or broth is added along with tomatoes or tomato sauce.
Sometimes garlic and onions are used as well as seasonings like chili pepper and cumin.
To me, the sign of a good Mexican restaurant is if they make a flavorful Mexican rice dish. You'll see that this recipe is exactly like the kind you get at your favorite retaurant or take out place without leaving home!
Some restaurants like to put peas and onions in their Mexican rice recipe, too. (You can certainly add peas and onions to your easy Mexican Rice recipe if you wish!)
More ways to use easy Mexican rice
However, this easy Mexican rice recipe isn’t just a side dish. You can make it the star of the meal by using it:
● in burritos with refried beans, pulled chicken, or strips of carne asada
● in a one pot Mexican-flavored stir fry with leftover rotisserie chicken and frozen pepper strips
● in a Mexican rice casserole recipe
● with tacos for Taco Night! I love putting the rice right in the tacos, not just on the side.
Perfect for potlucks: I also like doubling or tripling this recipe to bring to potlucks.
Tips for cooking up restaurant style Mexican rice
Gluten free? If you’re gluten free or cooking for GF guests, make sure that the broth you’re using is gluten free.
Many of the big commercial brands have gone gluten free or have more “natural versions” of broth or stock available at the grocery store. So no need to go to the health food store now!
This rice dish is also a naturally dairy free recipe.
Can you use brown rice? While this best Mexican rice recipe is traditionally made with white rice – and this recipe uses instant white rice – you can use instant brown rice in this recipe, too.
The cooking times may change (consult the directions on the box). Also, the taste and color will be different, but still delicious!
Cilantro? No bueno! If you’re serving this quick and easy Mexican rice recipe for guests, you may want to ask if everyone likes cilantro. So many people don’t!
It’s OK if you leave cilantro out this recipe if you or your guests don’t like it. Add 1/2 teaspoon onion powder instead.
Turn up the heat: Love spicy food? Don’t forget to serve your favorite Mexican hot sauce with the rice. My son loves adding hot sauce to his!
Love Mexican food? Here are a few Mexican recipes you'll adore:
● Pumpkin Smoothie for Dia de los Muertos – Day of Dead
Cook up more easy rice dishes
● Wild Mushroom Risotto makes a delicious side dish.
Easy Mexican Rice Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups uncooked instant white rice
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic powder, cumin, salt, and cilantro. Stir constantly, cook until spices become aromatic – about 1 minute.
- Add tomato sauce and broth. Turn up heat to medium high and bring to boil.
- Add rice. Bring back to boil. Cover Mexican rice and turn off the heat. Let stand 5 minutes or until tomato and chicken broth is absorbed. If the rice seems wet, place back on the stove and cook Mexican rice over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Serving size: Serves 4 - 1 cup per person
Originally published December 16, 2014 and February 29, 2016. Updated with new pictures and information.