Try this Easy Fudge Recipe if you're looking for recipes for homemade fudge for the holidays.
This recipe for homemade fudge uses only 5 ingredients and is creamy and delectable.
Best of all, this chocolate fudge turns out great every time. It's the ideal simple fudge recipe to make for bringing to holiday parties and cookie exchanges.
This easy fudge also makes a nice homemade gift in a holiday tin or a cellophane bag.
How to make fudge
Nothing could be simpler than making this easy fudge.
1. Line the square 8-inch pan with parchment paper. (See below for tips on how to line it.)
2. If you're using nuts, chop them and set aside.
3. Add the chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk in the saucepan.
4. Carefully melt the chocolate chips and stir into the condensed milk.
5. Add salt and vanilla to melted chocolate. Stir until creamy.
6. Add nuts (if using).
7. Spread fudge evenly into prepared pan.
8. Chill the fudge recipe until it's set. Then cut the fudge into squares with a sharp knife.
9. Store the easy fudge in an airtight container.
How to line a fudge pan with parchment paper
This is a sure-fire method of lining the 8"x8" pan with a parchment sling so you can easily lift out the fudge after it sets.
1. Pull out a sheet of parchment that is larger than your pan.
2. Cut it so it’s big enough to line the bottom of the pan and have extra hanging off two of the sides.
3. Crease the parchment paper at the edges so it fits snugly.
4. Remove the paper. Then spray the pan with cooking spray. (This helps the parchment paper stick to the pan.)
5. Then carefully press the parchment paper back into the pan.
What kind of chocolate can I use in easy fudge recipes?
You need to use 4 cups chocolate chips in this easy fudge recipe.
So what kind of chocolate chips you should use depends on what you can find at your store, your budget, and your personal tastes.
Milk or semi-sweet? Most people either like milk chocolate chips or semi-sweet chocolate chips when making fudge.
I find that semi-sweet is a good "in-between" chocolate for baking and candy making. It's the Goldilocks of chocolate – neither too bitter nor too sweet.
My daughter, who lives on sugar, would want milk chocolate. So to each their own, I guess.
White or dark chocolate? You could also use white chocolate chips and dark chocolate chips, but not everyone is crazy about either of these.
Some find white chocolate cloyingly sweet. Other people find dark chocolate too bitter. So only use those types of chocolate chips if you know for sure you have the right audience.
Combinations? You could also do a combination of chocolate, especially if you have a cup of milk chocolate, 2 cups of semi-sweet, and a cup of dark. Go for it!
Buy quality! Finally, buy the best quality chocolate you can. It can make a difference since the cheaper store brands may not set up as well due to the filler ingredients.
Or the consistency of the fudge isn’t as creamy with a cheaper brand. So, you may want to spend a little more to buy a good brand of chocolate like Ghirardelli.
But if you don’t care about super creamy fudge, that’s OK. It’s candy, after all. This easy fudge recipe will turn out just fine with generic chocolate chips.
Can I make this fudge recipe in the microwave?
Yes, you can make the fudge in the microwave. Here's how:
Follow the instructions below. But instead of cooking the sweetened condensed milk and chocolate chips in a saucepan, place them in a microwave-safe glass bowl.
Microwave the bowl in 30-second increments, stirring after each interval.
As soon as all the chocolate and milk mixture is melted and creamy, add the vanilla and salt. Mix thoroughly.
Then transfer the fudge mixture to the pan for set up time in the refrigerator.
Can I make dairy free chocolate fudge?
Sweetened Condensed Milk: You can use sweetened condensed COCONUT milk. This will give the fudge recipe a coconutty flavor, like a Mounds bar.
How long will easy fudge last?
Keep the fudge in a Ziploc bag or store in an airtight container so it doesn't dry out.
At room temperature, the fudge will stay fresh for a couple of weeks – if your family doesn’t eat it all before that!
In the refrigerator, the fudge will keep for a month. Again, keep it in a container or baggie so it doesn't absorb refrigerator smells.
You can even tightly wrap and freeze your fudge. It should keep for 3 months.
I don't know about you, but I wouldn't mind having a nice batch of chocolate fudge in the spring after the holidays are over!
Variations on an easy fudge recipe theme
This is a easy chocolate fudge recipe, so feel free to add other flavors as you make this fudge.
Here are some fun fudge recipe flavoring ideas:
Make peanut butter fudge by adding a few tablespoons of peanut butter
Use different combinations of chips like butterscotch and peanut butter chips
Add some espresso powder
Instead of nuts, add some dried cranberries or other chopped dried fruit
Use other types of dried nuts - almonds, pistachios, peanuts, toasted pine nuts, etc.
Substitute a few tablespoons of caramel sauce or dulce de leche in lieu of the sweetened condensed milk
Use a few tablespoons of coffee, orange, or almond-flavored liqueur such as Kahlua, Triple Sec, or Frangelico.
More homemade gifts for the holidays
● Put this DIY Coffee Scrub Recipe in little jars as a cute stocking stuffer.
● Make Orange Fruit Leather rollups as another stocking stuffer.
● Everyone loves ball jars of Homemade Taco Seasoning.
● Put Lime & Ginger Infused Vodka in pretty bottles. Don't forget to include a cocktail recipe card.
- 4 cups chocolate chips, milk chocolate or semi-sweet (or a combination)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans), optional
- Prepare a square 8"x8" pan with parchment paper, leaving extra off the sides.
- Chop nuts and set aside.
- Add chocolate chips and milk to a heavy saucepan.
- Heat over low heat, stirring constantly until chips are almost completely melted.
- Remove from heat and stir until chocolate is smooth and creamy.
- Add salt and vanilla and stir until combined.
- If using, stir in chopped nuts until well combined
- Spread evenly into prepared pan with an offset spatula.
- Chill for 2-3 hours or until set.
- Lift easy fudge from pan using parchment paper sling.
- Cut into squares with a knife.
- Store homemade fudge in an airtight container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 piece
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 285Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 125mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 23gProtein: 5g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated per the ingredients list. Serving size may not be accurate. Please double-check with your preferred nutritional app for the most accurate information.