This Instant Pot Meatballs recipe is the easiest way to make to make homemade meatballs.
Make them from any kind of ground meat with homemade spaghetti sauce or your favorite jarred sauce.
Super flavorful, simple to make, these pressure cooker meatballs taste like they been simmering away all day!
Here's a quick visual overview on how to make this easy Instant Pot Meatball recipe.
How to make Instant Pot Meatballs
But there are a few tricks to keep in mind.
What type of ground meat?
For example, to make instant pot turkey meatballs use 1 pound of ground lean turkey.
You could mix in some homemade Italian sausage with the ground meat. Since the sausage is already seasoned, cut back on the herbs and seasonings.
What type of breadcrumbs?
You can use plain or flavored breadcrumbs.
Or you can make homemade gluten free bread crumbs from by toasting up some gluten free bread and chopping it up in a blender or food processor.
You can also use gluten free oats instead of bread crumbs. Chop these up in a blender or food processor until finely ground.
What kind of herbs?
You can use a combination of finely chopped fresh herbs like oregano, basil, and parsley. You’ll need 2 tablespoons.
If you don’t have any in your garden, you can use 2 teaspoons of dried herbs. Use a variety (oregano, basil, parsley, thyme, etc.) or 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning.
What type of sauce?
You can use your favorite jarred sauce from the store or your favorite homemade recipe.
Or try my version of Alton Brown’s Tomato Sauce if you have too many tomatoes in your garden.
Forming the meatballs
You can make the meatballs using your hands or a small ice cream scoop. You want them to be slightly smaller than a golf ball.
How to cook meatballs in the Instant Pot
What kind of pressure cooker?
You can use any electric pressure cooker for this meatball recipe, not just the Instant Pot brand.
No matter what you type of pressure cooker you use, you will get the same results.
However, if you use a bigger SIZE it will take longer to come to pressure.
I have a large 8 Quart Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, because I like to double my recipes so I can have lots of leftovers.
But the 6 Quart Instant Pot Duo Pressure Cooker 7-in-1 is perfect for most recipes.
Prepare the pressure cooker
Make sure to place the trivet that came with your Instant Pot on the bottom of your pressure cooker.
Then add the spaghetti sauce.
Place meatballs in the sauce, close together.
Cover the pressure cooker. Then cook on High Pressure for 8 minutes.
Then do a 10 minute natural release.
Won’t the meatballs fall apart?
Even though you don’t brown or bake the meatballs before you put them in the Instant Pot to cook, they don’t fall apart.
When I first cooked them, I was sure I was going to end up with a pot of meat sauce. But I didn’t. It was AWESOME!
Cook your pasta
While your meatballs are cooking, prepare your pasta!
You can also serve the meatballs with zucchini or squash zoodles as a wholesome (and gluten free) alternative.
Dinner is ready!
Serve up your Instant Pot spaghetti and meatballs.
Leftovers can be stored in refrigerator and reheated the next day.
Freezing Instant Pot Meatballs and Sauce
How to freeze the meatballs and sauce:
1. Prepare Instant Pot Meatballs as directed.
2. Allow to cool completely.
3. Place in freezer safe Ziploc bag or plastic container.
4. Label and date. Frozen meatballs will keep for up to three months.
How to reheat frozen Instant Pot meatballs:
1. Let defrost in the refrigerator overnight. Or in a pan of water if you’re in a hurry.
2. You can reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave with fresh cooked pasta or zoodles.
You may prefer to just reheat individual portions rather than the entire recipe depending on your needs.
More tips for making pressure cooker meatballs
Here are some tips for those of you who may have some food allergies:
If you have the same situation at your house, you can substitute the following for the egg:
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
If you’re dairy free, use your favorite milk substitute instead of cow’s milk.
Use a vegan Parmesan cheese. There are several brands on the market, which you should be able to find at your grocery store or local health food store.
If you can’t have both eggs and dairy, you can use the applesauce substitution for the egg or a non-dairy yogurt.
If you have a shellfish allergy, you should avoid Worcestershire sauce. You can substitute soy sauce instead.
More easy meatball recipes
Who doesn’t love meatballs? Here are some recipes you’ll love:
These Gluten Free Asian Meatballs with Hoisin Sauce can be served on rice noodles.
Finally, these Slow Cooker Turkey Meatballs are gluten free and super tasty.
- 1 pound lean ground beef, ground pork, or ground turkey – or a blend
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (gluten free, plain or seasoned)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk (or milk substitute)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/4 cup fresh parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs, finely chopped – oregano, basil, parsley (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups spaghetti sauce
- In a large bowl, mix together the combination of meat, if using.
- Add all other ingredients and gently mix together, but do not overwork.
- Form into meatballs using your hands or a small ice cream scoop. Meatballs should be the size of a small golf ball.
- Place trivet at the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Then add jarred or homemade spaghetti sauce to the Instant Pot.
- Carefully place meatballs close together in the sauce.
- Cover and cook on High Pressure for 8 minutes with a 10-minute natural release.
- While meatballs are cooking, prepare spaghetti or other pasta noodles.
- Serve Instant Pot meatballs immediately with spaghetti noodles.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 498Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 198mgSodium: 657mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 50g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated per the ingredients list. Serving size may not be accurate. Please double-check with your preferred nutritional app for the most accurate information.