Do you love Asian food but never go out for it because you’re gluten free? Well, here’s a gluten free recipe for Asian Meatballs with Hoisin Sauce that’s so easy to make that you won’t mind staying home and cooking!
So I knew I needed to come up with a safe hoisin sauce recipe that we all could enjoy.
How to make a gluten free hoisin sauce recipe
The problem with making a hoisin sauce from scratch is that you have to find miso paste. Most Asian markets and health food stores have it in stock.
However, I recently found out that my local grocery store now carries their own house brand of hoisin sauce – and the ingredients seem to be gluten free. (It’s not certified as gluten free, however.)
I still make my own gluten free hoisin sauce, since I two containers of miso paste taking up room in my refrigerator.
You may want to, too, since you can make hoisin sauce as sweet or spicy as you like it. For example, I usually use agave nectar, but you may want to use maple syrup or honey instead.
I serve Gluten Free Asian Meatballs with Hoisin Sauce on gluten free Thai rice noodles.
Don’t forget to serve them with plenty of gluten free hoisin sauce – the more the better!
Gluten Free Asian Meatballs with Hoisin Sauce aren’t just for dinner
This recipe would also make a terrific Asian meatball appetizer at your next party.
Dish up some crunchy pea pods, carrot sticks, and slices of sweet peppers with these healthy Asian meatballs.
It’ll make a colorful – and gluten free – party platter!
Serve hoisin Asian meatballs to your guests with toothpicks or small bamboo skewers and some extra hoisin dipping sauce on the side.
Or put four or five meatballs on bamboo skewers as a fun presentation!
For the Gluten Free Asian Meatballs:
- 4 tablespoons tamari sauce
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 4 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons stevia or powdered monk fruit
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 8 scallions (green onions) 4 minced plus 4 more, thinly sliced for a garnish
- 1 8-ounce can drained, finely chopped water chestnuts
- 2 pounds lean ground turkey
- canola cooking spray
- 1 cup store-bought hoisin sauce or homemade gluten free hoisin sauce (see recipe below)
For the homemade gluten free hoisin sauce:
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/2 cup red miso paste
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
For the Gluten Free Asian Meatballs:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 2 to 3 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the tamari sauce, sesame oil, grated ginger, red pepper flakes, and sugar substitute. Stir in the corn starch until smooth.
- Stir in the 4 minced scallions and chopped water chestnuts, then add the ground turkey. Mix until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Using a tablespoon-sized ice cream scoop, drop the turkey mixture in rounded tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Lightly coat the meatballs with cooking spray and transfer to the oven.
- Bake until the meatballs are completely cooked through, approximately 15-20 minutes until they start to turn gold and brown on the edges.
- While the meatballs are cooking, make the hoisin sauce.
- Add the cooked hot meatballs to the hoisin sauce. (You may need to do this in batches.) Gently stir to coat.
- Serve meatballs over gluten free Thai rice noodles or rice. Sprinkle the remaining sliced scallions over the top.
For the Homemade Gluten Free Hoisin Sauce:
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and Chinese five-spice powder. Stir and cook for 15-20 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Stir miso paste until it dissolves and the sauce is smooth.
- Turn heat up to medium-high. Stirring constantly, bring to a slow boil, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until the hoisin sauce has thickened. Remove from heat.
Makes approximately 70 meatballs and 1 cup of gluten free hoisin sauce
Serving Size:9 meatballs with sauce
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 475Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 119mgSodium: 1805mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 3gSugar: 22gProtein: 36g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated per the ingredients list. Serving size may not be accurate. Please double-check with your preferred nutritional app for the most accurate information.