Last Updated on January 13, 2023 by Anne-Marie
Make this slow cooker chicken adobo for dinner tonight! Crockpot chicken adobo is easy to make, wholesome, and delicious.
Why this recipe works
Make slow cooker chicken adobo for dinner whenever your grocery store has chicken thighs on sale.
Chicken adobo in a slow cooker, which we call “Pootie Chicken” at my house (long story), was one of the first dishes my husband cooked for me. Since then, I’ve turned it into a chicken adobo slow cooker recipe.
Chicken adobo is a traditional dish from the Philippines. Though this recipe is made with chicken thighs, it can also be made with pork or fish.
If you love vinegary marinades, barbecue sauces, or even kombucha, then you’ll enjoy this dish.
That’s because it’s the combination of soy sauce and vinegar, which helps keep the chicken nice and moist as well as deliciously tangy.
(Looking for more Asian-style recipes? Check out 35 of the Best Recipes to Serve with Fried Rice! )
Wholesome easy chicken adobo with slow cooker convenience
Crockpot chicken adobo is an easy to make and wholesome dish as long as you do a few things:
● remove the skin from the chicken thighs (Freeze the chicken skin for later to use in homemade chicken stock!)
● use a low sodium soy sauce
● serve with steamed vegetables on the side (Just heat up a bag of frozen veggies from the store! Easy, right?)
● use slow cooker liners for easy crock-pot cleanup. Now that I use liners, I no longer have to soak my slow cooker overnight and scrub it using Bar Keepers Friend Cleanser and a scouring pad. Instead I just rinse and dry it.
Serving up Slow Cooker Chicken Adobo
Traditionally, chicken adobo is served over white rice. But I like serving the chicken with quinoa for an extra boost of protein and fiber.
Some people find quinoa kind of bitter. That’s because you have to rinse your quinoa before cooking! You see, rinsing removes quinoa's natural coating, called saponin, which can make it taste bitter or soapy.
To remove the saponin, place the quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse under cold water for 2 minutes. Problem solved.
What kind of vinegar is used in a chicken adobo crockpot recipe?
Traditionally, Filipino cooks use palm vinegar in chicken adobo. Palm vinegar is a Filipino vinegar made from the sap of the sugar palm.
According to Wikipedia, there are three types of Filipino palm vinegars:
● Coconut vinegar – made from coconut water and coconut sap
● Nipa palm vinegar – made from Nypa fruticans sap
● Kaong palm vinegar – made from Arenga pinnata sap
If you can find any of the three varieties, you should buy Kaong palm as it’s the sweetest and can also be used in salad dressings.
I usually find palm vinegar in Asian grocery stores. However, you can substitute white or apple cider vinegar for it when making your slow cooker chicken adobo recipe.
More easy chicken recipes
We love chicken because it’s inexpensive, delicious and so easy to cook with.
If you’re looking for some new chicken recipes, here are some you’ll love:
● Chicken Shawarma Appetizers with Dipping Sauce
- 8 skinless, bone-in chicken thighs (about 1 3⁄4 pounds)
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 cup low sodium soy sauce or gluten free tamari sauce
- 3/4 cup palm, white or apple cider vinegar
Serving ingredients for slow cooker chicken adobo
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- water to cook quinoa per package directions
- 1 bag Frozen vegetables (broccoli, squash, mixed vegetables, etc.)
- Place chicken, sliced chopped onions, garlic, peppercorns, and bay leaves in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker
- Pour soy sauce and vinegar over chicken.
- Cover and cook until the chicken and onions are tender – on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
- Thirty minutes before serving, prepare the quinoa according to the package directions.
- Ten minutes before serving, defrost the vegetables in the microwave per the package directions.
- Serve the chicken on top of the quinoa and vegetables. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate Affiliate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:2 pieces of chicken
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 828Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 28gCholesterol: 333mgSodium: 2444mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 6gSugar: 4gProtein: 75g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated per the ingredients list. Serving size may not be accurate. Please double-check with your preferred nutritional app for the most accurate information.