There's nothing simpler than making this Sheet Pan Chicken Thighs dinner.
You'll love the taste of marinated chicken thighs baked with healthy roasted vegetables right on a sheet pan.
It's a tasty one-pot – well, baking sheet – chicken dinner that makes a terrific weeknight meal.
How to make sheet pan chicken thighs
This will soon become your go-to sheet pan dinner recipe!
1. Whisk all the marinade ingredients together in a medium bowl.
2. Season the chicken with salt and black pepper.
3. Place the chicken in a large resealable bag. Pour the marinade over the chicken.
4. Place the chicken in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
5. Spray a large rimmed sheet pan with non-stick cooking spray.
You can line the sheet pan with parchment paper or use a silicone baking mat for easy cleanup.
6. Meanwhile, cut the vegetables and place them in a single layer on the rimmed baking sheet pan.
7. Drizzle the veggies with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
8. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
9. Remove chicken from marinade. Discard the marinade and place the chicken on the chicken sheet.
10 Bake for 25-30 minutes or until chicken has an internal temperature of 165 degrees F and the vegetables are tender.
Using a meat thermometer? Make sure to place it in the thickest part of the chicken thigh, not touching the bone, for the most accurate reading.
11. Remove the sheet from the oven. Let it sit for 5 minutes so the juices can settle.
(You can tent it with some aluminum foil if you're worried about your sheet pan meal getting cold.)
12. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve immediately.
13. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
Can I marinate the chicken ahead of time?
Sure! While the sheet pan chicken thighs only need 30 minutes of chilling time, you can also marinate them overnight for maximum flavor.
NOTE: It's important not to reuse the marinade as a sauce since it contains raw chicken juices, which can make everyone sick.
If you do want to serve a sauce on the side, make up a fresh marinade.
Or serve the chicken and vegetables with lemon slices, a bottled balsamic marinade, or bottled Italian dressing with dinner.
What type of chicken should I use?
Use skin-on chicken thighs. That way the chicken doesn't get dried out in the oven during cooking.
Plus, the skin gets golden brown and crisps up, which is so irresistible and lip-smackingly delicious.
Bone-in thighs are the best since the bones add awesome flavor.
What about chicken breasts?
I know many people prefer leaner chicken, but chicken breasts will probably dry out even though the breasts are marinated.
Try this trick: to buy you a little “baking insurance” coat the breasts in oil. Place some veggies on top to shield the chicken from the heat.
Then adjust the cooking time as chicken breasts less time to bake (probably around 20 minutes or so). Remove the breasts early and bake the veggies until they're done.
Can I use other vegetables?
This recipe calls for broccoli, yellow squash, bell pepper, and carrots. But you can use other veggies like:
- sweet potatoes
- green beans
- baby potatoes
- baby carrots (instead of peeling and cutting larger carrots - time saver trick!)
- butternut squash
- and more!
Can I dress up the marinade?
You can use fresh herbs to the marinade like fresh thyme or fresh rosemary.
Or add Italian seasoning or other spices you think go well with the veggies you're using.
Adding a teaspoon of Dijon mustard, a little balsamic vinegar or some lemon juice could also be interesting.
If you don't have any fresh garlic, you can substitute garlic powder.
How to make a gluten free chicken recipe
The only ingredient you have to worry about is the soy sauce, which probably contains wheat. (Check those labels!)
Either use a gluten free low sodium soy sauce or use tamari sauce, which is naturally gluten free
Are baked chicken thighs and roasted vegetables keto-friendly and low carb?
Yes, depending on what veggies you choose to bake along with your chicken thighs.
Here's a small list of keto-friendly, low carb veggies that would be delicious in this dish:
- bell peppers
- brussels sprouts
- green beans
More chicken recipes
Looking for more easy chicken recipes for dinner? Try these:
Get out your Dutch oven and make Chicken Normandy Recipe à la Marie-Celine.
If you love to grill or have a smoker, try this Smoked Beer Can Chicken Recipe.
- 6 chicken thighs, skin on
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium head broccoli, chopped
- 1 medium yellow squash, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cleaned and diced
- 2 large carrots, cleaned and diced
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnish, if desired
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all ingredients for the marinade.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken in a large resealable bag. Then pour the marinade over the chicken.
- Place in refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Spray a large sheet with non-stick cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Meanwhile, cut the vegetables and place them on the sheet pan.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove chicken from marinade, discard marinade, and place chicken on the sheet pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until chicken has an internal temperature of 165 degrees F and the vegetables are tender.
- Remove from oven and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve immediately.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate Affiliate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 421Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 166mgSodium: 774mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 3gSugar: 15gProtein: 33g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated per the ingredients list. Serving size may not be accurate. Please double-check with your preferred nutritional app for the most accurate information.