This Instant Pot Chicken and Rice is super creamy with exquisite morsels of chicken, mushrooms, peas and carrots.
You’ll love how quickly you can make this instant pot chicken and rice recipe.
It’ll soon become a weeknight dinner favorite.
It’s so tasty that your family will ask for seconds – and you’ll wish you doubled the recipe!
How to make Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
There’s nothing more classic than chicken and rice. What makes this recipe so special is that it’s just like a risotto.
However, with this easy pressure cooker chicken and rice recipe, you don’t have to stand in front of the stove stirring forever.
Here’s how to put it all together:
First sauté the vegetables
Set your pressure cooker on high. Then add butter, oil, onion and carrots.
Cook the vegetables until they’re soft and the onions begin to brown.
Then add the garlic and oregano. Cook until everything starts to smell wonderful – about a minute.
Prepare chicken, rice, and mushrooms
Pepper and salt the chicken breasts and rinse the rice. Clean and slice the mushrooms.
Place the rice and mushrooms in the pot.
Make sure broth covers rice and vegetables. Add more if needed.
Place chicken breasts on top of rice and vegetables.
Place lid on your Instant Pot. Cook on manual high pressure for 10 minutes.
When done, allow the instant pot to naturally release pressure for 5 minutes.
To do a natural release: Leave your Instant Pot on the warm setting. Then wait 5 minutes. After that you open the valve and release any remaining pressure.
Doing it this way makes sure that the chicken and rice is a bit more tender.
Shred the chicken
Remove lid, remove the chicken, and shred it into bite size pieces.
Then place the chicken back into the pot.
Add the rest of the ingredients
Stir in defrosted peas and chopped parsley.
Serve immediately with grated Parmesan cheese and more chopped parsley.
Equipment needed to cook Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
8-Inch Chef’s Knife: You’ll need a good chef’s knife to cut up the vegetables and parsley.
I love the Zesty Citrus Lemon Zester & Cheese Grater and have been using mine for many years.
Tips for making chicken and rice in a pressure cooker
What kind of rice? You MUST use a long grain white rice. Don’t use instant rice as it cooks up too quickly.
Do NOT use brown rice as it requires a different cooking time. (More time, which means the chicken will be overcooked.)
Can I use a different kind of white rice? Or quinoa? Stop messing with me people! If you use LONG GRAIN WHITE RICE, this recipe will turn out perfectly.
If you use another type of rice or grain (like quinoa) it’ll be over or under cooked.
What kind of mushrooms? White or baby bella are the ones to choose at the store for this instant pot rice and chicken recipe.
Why do you rinse the rice? To remove any dirt or starch covering the rice. I find that rinsing also helps the rice cook better.
You can rinse rice in a fine colander. If you don’t have one, put the rice in a bowl, add water, and swish it around.
Then carefully pour out the cloudy water being careful not to dump any rice. Repeat until the water is clear.
Broth tips: If you’re gluten free, check the label of any broth or stock you’re using.
You can also make your own stock with something like Massel Bouillon Stock Powder, which is certified gluten free.
● Buy already sliced onions and mushrooms at the store. A little more expensive, but worth it if you’re super busy.
● You can also use prechopped garlic from a jar. 1 teaspoon minced jarred garlic equals 1 clove garlic.
(I love jarred garlic and have a huge container of it from Sam’s Club. I won’t tell if you don’t!)
● Use defrosted frozen peas and carrots. You can buy frozen peas and carrots together or separately at the store.
This way you can skip peeling, chopping and cooking carrots at the beginning of the recipe.
Then add them at the end when the recipe directions say to add just the peas.
● You can also buy shredded Parmesan cheese. However, I usually buy it by the wedge so I always have some on hand for that night’s pasta dish.
Using other vegetables in easy instant pot chicken and rice
Do your kids hate mushrooms? Or maybe you have an allergy?
(My best friend is scared of mushroom. She’s lucky I didn’t know about this when we were in grade school.)
Leave them out and double up on the carrots.
Or you can try some chopped celery, broccoli, zucchini, or summer squash instead. Get creative!
Can I use other types of chicken meat in Instant Pot Chicken and Rice?
Sure! Some people find chicken breast meat rather dry and tasteless and prefer thigh meat.
However, make sure it’s boneless chicken meat. Bone in chicken will have a different cooking time.
If you do want to use thigh meat, you may want to brown it first. (Optional, but you may like the added flavor.)
You can do this before adding the onion and carrots.
Then remove the chicken. Proceed with the rest of the recipe. Then place the chicken back on top of the rice (step #8).
Can I use frozen chicken to make pressure cooker chicken and rice?
I’m going to say maybe. You have to decide if you want to try it or not because I haven’t done it myself.
I have read reviews of similar recipes to this one that say they didn’t get good results when using frozen chicken and others where it wasn’t a problem.
If you find yourself in a bind with frozen chicken and dinner needing to be prepared, here are some ways to quickly thaw out chicken breasts:
● Defrost your chicken breasts on 50% power in the microwave for several minutes at a time while you’re prepare the rest of the ingredients.
I can’t give you so many minutes per pound because it depends on the thickness of the chicken breasts and the wattage of your microwave.
Instead, just do several minutes at a time. Then check the chicken for doneness. If the chicken is mostly thawed, I think it’s good to use.
● Place the chicken breasts in individual Ziploc bags and place them in warm/hot water.
(Do this in a large bowl so you can frequently change the water when it cools down.)
If you’re lucky, you bought those individually wrapped frozen chicken breasts and can just plop them into a water filled bowl.
More terrific chicken recipes
Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice, rinsed well
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped, plus more for garnish if desired
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Set instant pot to sauté on high, add butter, oil, onion, and carrots.
- Sauté until soft and golden, stirring occasionally for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and oregano, stir and cook about 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add salt and pepper to chicken, set aside.
- Rinse rice well, add to the pot.
- Clean and slice mushrooms, add to the pot.
- Pour chicken broth into pot covering rice and vegetables, add more broth if needed.
- Place chicken breasts on top of the rice mixture.
- Cover and cook on manual high pressure for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, let naturally release for 5 minutes, then Quick Release rest of pressure.
- Remove lid, remove chicken and shred into bite-size pieces. Place chicken back into the pot.
- Stir in peas and chopped parsley.
- Serve immediately with grated Parmesan cheese and additional parsley, if desired.
- Serving size: 1/4 to 1/6 of recipe