Make this Asian Watermelon Fruit Salad Recipe if you love a good watermelon fruit salad with mint, but aren’t crazy about feta.
Mint, cilantro and basil, plus sesame seed oil, tamari sauce, and citrus flavored rice vinegar gives this healthy watermelon salad a unique Asian flavor.
Not only is it an easy watermelon salad recipe to make, but it makes a wonderful summer side dish for weeknight dinners or weekend BBQs.
This Thai inspired watermelon fruit salad would go well with grilled teriyaki beef or chicken cooked up on the grill. Perfect for summer!
How to buy a watermelon
Planning to make watermelon salads? Then you need to buy the best watermelons you can, whether it's at a fruit stand, a farmer's market, or at your local grocery store.
When buying a watermelon, make sure to look it over. You want a firm, symmetrical watermelon that has no cuts, bruises or dents in it.
Trying lifting the watermelon. It should be heavy since most of its weight is water.
When you turn it over, do you see a yellow spot? That’s OK! The yellow spot is where the watermelon sat on the ground to ripened in the sun.
Finally, when you get your watermelon home, make sure to wash it before you cut into it.
Yes, it’s been rolling around the back of your car. But before that, who knows where it’s been?
Tips for making watermelon fruit salad
Sauces: That’s because you’re using tamari sauce instead of soy sauce.
Also, make sure to double check that the fish sauce doesn’t have any wheat or soy sauce in it.
Pine Nuts: This mint watermelon salad recipe is also nut free since it uses pine nuts instead of peanuts. (Pine nuts are actually seeds and not nuts.)
However, pine nuts are usually manufactured on the same machinery as regular nuts.
To remove allergens try this:
Rinse the pine nuts very well in warm water. Pat them dry and then sauté them for a few minutes in a hot frying pan to remove any moisture.
But when it doubt, leave the pine nuts out! Ask your allergic friends or family member for their comfort level in using pine nuts.
Don’t assume. You can always serve the pine nuts on the side.
Sesame seeds: Speaking of nut allergies, my daughter, who is allergic to nuts is also allergic to sesame seeds.
More delicious watermelon recipes
This Watermelon Pizza is a showstopping dessert. Make it at a BBQ cookout or fish fry.
My kids love this Avocado & Watermelon Ice Pops Recipe. A healthy snack to cool down during the warm weather.
Asian Watermelon Salad Recipe
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seed oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon flavored olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon low sodium tamari sauce
- 3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1/2 Thai pepper, seeded and minced or 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 5 cups seedless watermelon cut into 1” chunks
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- Whisk together sesame seed olive, olive oil, fish sauce, tamari sauce, vinegar, lime juice, red onion, garlic, ginger and jalapeno in a large bowl.
- Add the watermelon and toss to combine.
- Let sit 10 minutes.
- Add the cilantro, basil, mint and pint nuts to the watermelon salad.
- Toss to combine. Serve immediately.
- Serving size: 3/4 cup
Originally published on August 29, 2013 and June 5, 2017. Updated with new pictures and information.