Check out this Almond Butter Pie recipe if you love ice cream pies but can’t deal with all that dairy.
The combination of coconut milk and honey almond butter creates a creamy dessert with the consistency of ice cream.
It’s also gluten free! That’s because the crust is made from gluten free kettle corn rice cakes.
Everyone will love this decadent almond butter and dark chocolate dessert.
Serve each person a small piece along with some berries for a delicious summer treat!
A perfect no bake pie recipe for summer
The best thing about making this Almond Butter Pie recipe is that you don’t have to turn on your oven during a hot summer day.
That’s because this is made with an easy no bake pie crust.
The rest of this is made on the countertop or in the freezer. Perfect for hot summertime cooking!
However, you do have a little stovetop cooking to melt the chocolate to drizzle on top of this almond butter pie. That’s it!
(If you’re looking for more no bake pies, check out my Espresso Chocolate No Bake Pie recipe.)
How to make an easy no bake pie crust
Rice cakes: I decided to use gluten free rice cakes to create a crust, similar to when I use crushed gluten free cookies in my Gluten Free Mini Blueberry Swirl Cheesecakes.
I decided that Kettle Corn would work best in a No Bake Almond Butter Pie recipe.
Spread: I used a vegan buttery spread like Earth Balance. This keeps the recipe vegan and dairy free.
Just use the equivalent (same) amount of Swerve or powdered monk fruit that you would sugar.
Making a dairy free no bake almond butter pie
I love ice cream pies, but my tummy doesn’t. So I made this No Bake Almond Butter Pie dairy free using a variety of products.
Chocolate: For the chocolate drizzle, use a dairy free semi-sweet chocolate like Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mini-Chips, which is gluten free, dairy free and vegan.
It also tastes great and melts just as well as other brands of chocolate chips. Great stuff.
Shortening: I combined the chocolate with a little Spectrum Naturals Organic All Vegetable Shortening for easy drizzling.
You can also use Nutiva Organic Shortening, which is a coconut oil based vegan option.
If you don’t love shortening, you could probably substitute a vegan spread like Earth Balance.
Best kitchen gadgets for making this no bake pie
This freezer pie recipe gave me the chance to use several of my favorite kitchen gadgets.
Bain Marie: First, I used a Beka Cookware Bain Marie to melt the chocolate instead of a double broiler.
I love the Beka Bain Marie since it’s almost impossible to burn anything you’re melting in it.
Plus, you don’t run the risk of getting water in your chocolate, which is a big no-no.
Double Boiler: Since I originally wrote this post, the Beka has been discontinued and is a bit hard to find.
Instead, you may want to use a more traditional double broiler to melt the chocolate.
Blender: I swear by my Blendtec Blender and used my Blendtec Blender’s Twister Jar to make most of this recipe.
This almond butter pie also comes with a vegan option
Since this no bake pie recipe is dairy free, it’s practically vegan friendly except for one ingredient – the honey in the almond butter.
(I originally used Justin’s Honey Almond Butter. Good stuff!)
If you’re vegan or wanting to serve this No Bake Almond Butter Pie to vegan friends or relatives, use plain almond butter.
Just double check the label to make sure your almond butter is vegan. If the no bake pie isn’t sweet enough when using plain almond butter, add a little more sugar or sugar substitute to taste.
Finally, you must use Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mini-Chips, which are certified vegan, for the drizzling.
Looking for more dairy free desserts?
If you love creamy chocolate desserts, then Vegan Chocolate Mousse Recipe is for you!
This Baked Plantain Chips Recipe is a guilt free snack.
It’s hard to believe this Keto Pumpkin Mousse Recipe is healthy and sugar free.
These Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Pine Nut Cookies were inspired by a trip to the Grand Canyon.
If you love lime desserts, serve up some Vegan Key Lime Mousse.
Make this Orange Fruit Leather Recipe with the kids.
For the rice cake crust:
- 1 1/2 cups finely ground Lundberg Organic Kettle Corn Rice Cakes
- 6 tablespoons vegan buttery spread, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar, Swerve Sweetener or Powdered Monk Fruit
For the chocolate coating and drizzle:
- 7 ounces dairy free semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Spectrum Naturals Organic All Vegetable Shortening
For the pie filling:
- 1 cup honey almond butter or plain almond butter
- 1 13.5-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/3 cup sugar, Swerve Sweetener or Powdered Monk Fruit
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
To make the pie crust:
- Place rice cakes (about half a package) into a food processor and grind them into fine crumbs.
- Add the vegan buttery spread and sugar and pulse until combined. Firmly and evenly press the mixture into a pie plate.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and combine with the shortening and melt. You can do this in a double boiler, in a bain-marie, or carefully over low heat in a saucepan in a medium heat-proof bowl, stirring constantly.
- Dip a pastry spoon into the melted chocolate and give the pie crust a thin coat by using the pastry brush to paint on the chocolate. Work quickly and try not to loosen the rice cake crust.
- Chill the crust in the freezer for 15 minutes.
To make the pie filling:
- Place the almond butter, coconut milk, sugar, and salt into a large mixing bowl and using a hand mixer, beat until completely blended. If you have a Blendtec or similar blender, you can also combine the ingredients in the blender using the sauce setting.
- Remove the pie crust from the refrigerator and pour the pie filling into the shell. Gently tap the pie plate on the counter to release any air bubbles.
- Place the pie back into the freezer for 1 hour or until set.
- Remove pie from the freezer. Prepare the chocolate drizzle by remelting the remaining chocolate, if needed.
- Take a spoon, dip into the melted chocolate, and drizzle chocolate over the pie in a decorative manner.
- Place the pie back into the freezer for 30 more minutes.
- Remove from the freezer 15 minutes before serving. Slice carefully and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 301Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 96mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 2gSugar: 47gProtein: 2g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated per the ingredients list. Serving size may not be accurate. Please double-check with your preferred nutritional app for the most accurate information.
Originally published in May 21, 2013 and August 19, 2017. Updated with new pictures and information.