This Crockpot Apple Cobbler is super simple to make any time you feel like a downhome dessert.
Why this recipe works
Crockpot apple cobbler takes only 5 minutes to put together since it's made with cake mix and apple pie filling.
This 5-ingredient dessert is easy to put together a few hours before dinner, too.
In fact, this slow cooker apple cobbler is something you can make last minute, since you can easily keep these ingredients on hand.
Crockpot apple cobbler tips
Here are some tips to making this easy slow cooker apple cobbler fool proof.
What size crock-pot?
Prepare this crockpot apple cobbler recipe in a six-quart slow cooker.
Prepare your slow cooker
Use slow cooker liners for easy clean up. They’re such a time saver!
Now that I always use liners, I no longer have to scrub it with Bar Keepers Friend and a scouring pad.
What kind of cake mix?
This is a recipe for crockpot apple cobbler with cake mix. The recipe calls for yellow cake mix, but spice cake mix would also work well.
As for other flavors, use your best judgement as to what you think would go well with apples, cinnamon and brown sugar.
Apple pie filling
Use your favorite brand of apple pie filing.
You can also make your own Easy & Healthy Apple Pie Filling if you have a bunch of apples to use up. Freeze to use for later!
If you want to cook apples from scratch, check out my super easy Gluten Free Apple Crisp Recipe. Takes only 45 minutes to make and bake.
Can I use other pie fillings?
Sure! Try peach, cherry, blueberry, or mixed berry. All would be terrific in this crock-pot cobbler recipe.
The apple cobbler recipe calls for cinnamon. But you can tweak it by adding nutmeg, ginger, cardamom, or whatever strikes your fancy.
If you don’t have brown sugar, you can use regular sugar and a teaspoon of molasses in a pinch.
Want to cut back on sugar?
How to make a gluten free apple cobbler
If you want to make this a gluten free apple cobbler recipe, use a gluten free yellow cake mix.
This Crockpot Pumpkin Dump Cake Recipe also uses a gluten free yellow cake mix.
Make a dairy free apple cobbler
Butter or spread?
If you want to keep this easy crock-pot apple cobbler dairy free, use a dairy free buttery spread instead of butter.
You could also use Earth Balance or another dairy free, vegan spread.
Another dairy free alternative is coconut oil that's a solid at room temperature.
Dairy free cake mix
Check the cake mix you’re using to make sure it’s dairy free.
Most yellow cake mixes should have no dairy, but double check to make sure.
Can this be made into a vegan dessert?
If you’re vegan, check to see if your cake mix is vegan.
I know for sure that Betty Crocker Baking Mix, Gluten Free Cake Mix, Yellow is, which means it’s dairy free, too.
Then all you’ll need is a vegan spread, like Earth Balance, and you’re all set!
How to serve slow cooker apple cobbler
Serve up apple cobbler with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and drizzle of caramel sauce.
If you’re avoiding dairy, coconut or soy ice cream is a terrific choice, too.
You can also top with whipped cream or a non-dairy whipped cream, like Reddi-wip Almond & Coconut Non-Dairy Whipped Cream.
More apple desserts and snacks
If you’re looking for other apple desserts, try:
● This Gluten Free Apple Crisp Recipe combines oatmeal and apples.
● Homemade Applesauce (No Sugar Added) is delicious by itself or can be used in baking.
● The Best Gluten Free Applesauce Muffins Recipe is terrific for breakfast.
More easy crock-pot recipes
If you love cooking with your crock-pot, you’ll enjoy these slow cooker recipes:
Serve up this Crockpot BBQ Chicken Recipe for parties or dinner.
Learn How to Cook Pumpkin in your slow cooker.
This Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chili Recipe is filling and delicious.
- 2 20-ounce cans apple pie filling
- 1 16.25-ounce yellow cake mix (regular or gluten free)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed or Swerve Sweetener, Brown
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick) or non-dairy buttery spread, melted
- Spray crockpot with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add apple pie filling.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle cake mix mixture on top of apple pie filling.
- Melt butter in a microwave-safe bowl and evenly drizzle over cake mix.
- Layer two paper towels and place them on the top of the crock, setting the lid into place over the paper towels. This prevents condensation from dripping back into the pot.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Serve warm crockpot apple cobbler with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, caramel sauce, or some whipped cream.
As an Amazon Associate Affiliate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 546Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 693mgCarbohydrates: 90gFiber: 2gSugar: 61gProtein: 2g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated per the ingredients list. Serving size may not be accurate. Please double-check with your preferred nutritional app for the most accurate information.