Last Updated on March 26, 2022 by Anne-Marie
The great thing about this strawberry rhubarb crisp recipe 9 x 13 is that it’s super easy to make. This is the best strawberry rhubarb crisp to bake for family get-togethers with just the right amount of sweetness.
Why this recipe works
Fresh rhubarb and strawberries on sale at the store? Then you must try this strawberry rhubarb crisp recipe.
I created a gluten-free version of one of my favorite old-fashioned desserts as part of a recipe challenge.
I love an easy recipe for rhubarb crisp and remember having an amazing one at my sister’s friend’s home.
It’s now one of my favorite dessert recipes. Probably because this rhubarb crisp recipe is so simple to make.
Plus, the tartness of the rhubarb and the crunchy topping is so delicious. Best of all, it has less sugar and the perfect balance of sweet and tangy.
It’s sure to become one of your favorite rhubarb recipes, too!
Looking for a strawberry rhubarb crisp recipe that’s gluten-free? This can easily be made sugar-free or dairy-free, too!
Fruit filling ingredients:
- crushed pineapple
- Swerve Sweetener
- fresh strawberries
- cornstarch (substitute rice starch if you have to avoid corn products)
- lemon juice
- vanilla extract
- buttery spread, softened
- Swerve Sweetener
- unsulfured molasses
- all-purpose gluten-free flour
- quick-cooking gluten-free oats
- canola oil
- ground cinnamon
- ground nutmeg
- sea salt
How to make this recipe
1) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2) In a bowl, toss the rhubarb and pineapple with 3/4 cup of the Swerve Sweetener. Let stand for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3) Toss the strawberries with the remaining 1/2 Swerve Sweetener in a large bowl. Let stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4) Using a large slotted spoon, transfer the rhubarb and pineapple to the strawberry bowl. Discard any juice.
5) Add the cornstarch, lemon juice, and vanilla to the fruit and stir well. Transfer the strawberry rhubarb filling to a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish.
Make the crisp topping:
1) Combine topping ingredients in a medium bowl. Using a rigid pastry blender or your fingers, mix the ingredients together until large crumbs form.
2) Sprinkle the topping evenly over the filling. Do not pat down, but let the topping rest loosely over the rhubarb mixture layer.
3) Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees F and continue baking for 30 minutes longer or until the fruit filling is bubbling and the topping is nicely browned.
4) Remove the baking dish from the oven and let the crisp rest for 15 minutes at room temperature before serving. Serve the warm dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
5) Got leftovers? Cover the dish with plastic wrap or a piece of foil. Store in the refrigerator.
Is this recipe gluten-free?
Yes, this 9 x 13 strawberry rhubarb crisp recipe is gluten-free.
How? That’s because you use a gluten-free all-purpose flour like Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour. I love this product because it cooks up just like regular flour.
(Learn how to measure flour correctly for the best results in your everyday baking.)
And because you also use gluten-free quick-cooking oats. While oats are naturally gluten-free, not all are certified as gluten-free. So check product labels!
The best way to measure flour
Don’t scoop the flour directly out of the bag with a measuring cup. It packs down the flour, and you end up with too much in your cup.
Too much flour means your fruit crisp recipe comes out too dry. Yuck!
Instead, do this:
1) Spoon the flour from the bag or container into your measuring cup.
2) Then, use the back of a spatula or knife to level off the top of the cup. That way, the flour isn’t packed down.
Can I make this recipe sugar-free?
Instead of white sugar, this recipe uses Swerve Sweetener, a natural, no-calorie sweetener.
To go 100% sugar-free, you’d have to eliminate the molasses.
It cooks up just like regular brown sugar. I love it, and I use it in recipes like:
- Easy Instant Pot Ham Recipe with Sugar-Free Glaze
- Rice Flour Snickerdoodles Cookie Recipe
- Sugar-Free BBQ Sauce
How do you make this crisp dairy-free and vegan?
To make this strawberry rhubarb crisp recipe dairy-free, use a vegan buttery spread like Earth Balance spread.
You can also use the kind of coconut oil that’s solid at room temperature.
How to serve this dessert
Finally, you must serve this easy rhubarb crisp recipe with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It elevates the dessert to the sublime.
Serve it with a scoop of your favorite soy or coconut vanilla frozen “ice cream.” So good!
More easy desserts
What’s your favorite fruit-filled dessert?
For the filling:
- 2 pounds rhubarb stalks, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/3 cup crushed pineapple
- 1 1/4 cups Swerve Sweetener, divided
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled, quartered and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch or rice starch
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons gluten free pure vanilla extract
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup buttery spread, softened
- 1 1/4 cups Swerve Sweetener
- 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose gluten free flour
- 1 1/4 cups quick-cooking gluten free oats
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a bowl, toss the rhubarb and pineapple with 3/4 cup of the Swerve Sweetener. Let stand for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a larger bowl, toss the strawberries with the remaining 1/2 Swerve Sweetener. Let stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the rhubarb and pineapple to the strawberry bowl. Discard any juice.
- Add the cornstarch (or rice starch), lemon juice, and vanilla to the fruit and stir well. Transfer fruit mixture to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- Combine topping ingredients in a medium bowl. Using a pastry blender or your fingers, mix the ingredients together until large crumbs form.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the filling. Do not pat down, but let topping rest loosely over the fruit layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees F and continue baking for 30 minutes longer or until the fruit filling is bubbling and the topping is nicely browned.
- Remove from the oven and let the crisp rest for 15 minutes before serving. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 301Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 187mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 4gSugar: 16gProtein: 4g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated per the ingredients list. Serving size may not be accurate. Please double-check with your preferred nutritional app for the most accurate information.
Originally published on May 12, 2014. Updated with new pictures and information.