Try Corn Fritters as a different sort of pancake for Shrove (Pancake) Tuesday. Don’t let the name fool you! This gluten free corn fritter recipe is a pancake recipe.
This easy corn fritters recipe is perfect for Pancake Day.
Even better, since Corn Fritters are savory and not sweet, it makes a terrific brinner (breakfast for dinner) dish any time of year.
Pancakes versus corn fritters
So what’s the difference between these corn fritters and a pancake made with the same ingredients?
According to The Old Foodie: “Not much really.” HA!
Some corn fritter recipes are thick and pancake like, while others look like deep fried blobs of dough.
My gluten free corn fritter recipe is more pancake like – and fairly wholesome since it’s not deep fried.
The origin of these easy corn fritters
This corn fritter recipe is actually my husband’s concoction for what he calls “corn pancakes.” It’s been a Christmas morning staple at our home for years.
Paul came up with these easy corn fritters when he was living in Berlin and only had some frozen corn, eggs, flour, milk and some ketchup to make breakfast with at his friend, Thomas’s home.
When he came back to the States, made them for me. I loved them so much that I always request them for special occasions like birthdays and holiday brunches.
Making this corn fritter recipe gluten and dairy free
I’ve taken Paul’s corn fritter recipe and made it gluten free by using an all purpose gluten free flour like Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour.
Check out my Best Gluten Free Products List to find more of my favorite gluten free baking products!
Then I made the corn fritters dairy free by using plain rice milk.
I used whole eggs in my easy corn fritter recipe, but you can health it up even further by using the equivalent of two eggs worth of eggs whites.
When I lived in Georgia, I used country ham, the Southern version of prosciutto, in my corn fritters.
Instead, you can use thickly cut ham deli slices, meaty bacon, pancetta, sausage, or even spicy chorizo!
Or forgo the meat altogether in this gluten free corn fritters recipe and add some sautéed diced peppers instead. That way you now have a vegetarian corn fritter recipe!
Serving ideas for this easy recipe for corn fritters with ham
Just because these corn fritters are savory, it doesn’t mean you can put your favorite sweet syrup on them.
My family likes these yummy corn fritters with ketchup, including my homemade Green Tomato Ketchup as shown in the picture above. Try it, you just might like it!
More pancake recipes
If you’re looking for more pancake recipes for Shrove (Pancake) Tuesday, give these a try:
This Zucchini Fritters Recipe is a terrific way to use extra zucchini from the garden.
If you love sweet potatoes, you have to make Sweet Potato Pancakes.
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten free flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar or a sugar substitute like monk fruit
- 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups plain rice milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups frozen golden sweet corn, defrosted
- 1 cup frozen chopped onions, defrosted
- 1 cup cooked and diced country ham, deli ham, meaty bacon, pancetta, or sausage (optional)
- Cooking spray
- Ketchup, pancake syrup, or other sweet syrup for serving
- Heat pancake griddle, skillet, or frying pan.
- Combine all-purpose gluten free flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, and sugar in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, add eggs to rice milk and beat until combined.
- Pour milk and eggs into the flour mixture and stir until combined. Add corn, onions, and meat if using. If the batter seems thick, add more rice milk.
- Grease pancake griddle with cooking spray. (You can also use oil, butter, buttery spread, or even grease leftover from cooking up the ham or bacon.)
- Using a 1/4 cup measure, spoon out the batter on to the hot griddle. Cook the pancake until each side is golden brown. Keep corn fritters warm in the oven until served.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 pancake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 211Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 38mgSodium: 363mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 2gSugar: 11gProtein: 8g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated per the ingredients list. Serving size may not be accurate. Please double-check with your preferred nutritional app for the most accurate information.
Originally posted on December 12, 2013 and February 26, 2017. Updated with new pictures and information.