Last Updated on January 27, 2022 by Anne-Marie
This is the best Instant Pot Turkey Breast recipe to make. You'll have plenty of juicy and tender breast meat for your Thanksgiving celebration in a little over an hour.
Why this recipe works
This is the easiest way to make more turkey dinner for guests and family members.
Why? That’s because this easy Instant Pot turkey breast recipe can be prepped in just 15 minutes. Plus, it saves on oven space when you’re cooking that holiday feast.
THRIFTY! It also uses the same herbs and seasonings you're using in your Thanksgiving turkey recipes. So there's no need to buy any special ingredients.
You’ll find that pressure cooking a tender turkey breast makes plenty of white meat. There’s no need to cook a whole turkey to have leftovers for turkey sandwiches.
LEFTOVERS! Pressure cooker turkey breast is also perfect for those who aren’t fans of dark meat or want leftover turkey for dishes like Turkey Enchilada Casserole or Turkey Cranberry Crescent Braid Recipe.
You can enjoy making Instant Pot turkey breast recipes throughout the year without the hassle of making an entire turkey!
EASY! If it's just you and your significant other during the holiday season, making this easy recipe is a wonderful way to cook a turkey for your Thanksgiving dinner.
Pressure cooker turkey breast cooks up in a fraction of the time with minimal clean up.
Check out another favorite way to make a delicious turkey breast - How to make a smoked turkey breast brine.
- turkey breast
- unsalted butter
- fresh rosemary
- fresh sage
- fresh thyme
- salt and black pepper
- chicken broth
- medium onion
How to make Instant Pot turkey breast
This easy Instant Pot turkey breast recipe can be prepped in just 10 minutes.
Then you cook the Instant Pot turkey for 35 minutes and do a natural release for 10 minutes.
(Don’t do a quick release. A natural release gives you the juiciest turkey breast.)
Times will vary depending on the size of your turkey breast and pressure cooker.
How to cook a turkey breast in a pressure cooker:
1. Remove the turkey breast from the wrapping and pat dry with paper towels. Don’t wash it.
2. Rub the softened butter over the turkey breast.
3. Combine the herbs and seasonings in a bowl. Then sprinkle them over the turkey breast.
4. Then place the trivet in the bottom of the pot. (That's the wire trivet that came with your pot.) Pour the chicken broth into the Instant Pot.
5. Add the chopped onions and celery to the Instant Pot.
6. Then place turkey breast, breast side up into the Instant Pot.
7. Close the lid. Set on High pressure and cook for 35 minutes.
8. Do a natural release by leaving your Instant Pot on the warm setting. Then wait 10 minutes. After that, open the valve and release any remaining pressure.
Doing a natural pressure release makes sure that the turkey breast is nice and tender. (If you do a quick pressure release, all of the juices will escape the meat.)
9. Transfer the cooked Instant Pot turkey breast to a cutting board.
10. Loosely cover the turkey breast with some aluminum foil. Let it rest for 15 minutes before slicing.
Can I use boneless turkey breast?
You can use a bone-in or boneless turkey. It’s up to you and your budget.
Boneless breasts are usually more expensive, but it's easier for slicing.
Bone-in is cheaper and you can use the leftover bone to make an easy soup.
How to make a quick soup
Save the leftover over liquid from making turkey breast instant pot like the onions, celery, and herbs.
Then place the turkey bone, more chopped vegetables, leftover pieces of turkey, salt and pepper to taste, and some water to cover in a pot.
Cook on the stovetop until you have a nice warm soup. Fantastic!
Can I make this dairy-free?
You can use a vegan non-dairy buttery spread instead of butter like Earth Balance to coat the turkey breast.
You can also use olive oil or coconut oil when cooking a turkey breast in an Instant Pot.
Is this gluten-free?
If you’re gluten-free(or your guests are) make sure to check the label of the chicken broth or stock you’re using for any gluten.
Many popular brands of chicken broth are now certified to be gluten-free but this changes from time to time. So check the label!
No fresh herbs?
If they ran out of fresh herbs at the store, use this dried herb substitution guide when making Instant Pot turkey breast:
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary for 2 teaspoons fresh
- 1 teaspoon dried sage for 2 teaspoons fresh
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme for 2 teaspoons fresh
You can also substitute 1 tablespoon of onion powder for the 1 medium chopped onion.
Don't wash the turkey breast before cooking
According to the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service, you shouldn't wash raw poultry before cooking.
Bacteria in raw poultry can be spread to other foods, utensils, and surfaces.
Washing just splashes the bacteria around your sink and countertops. And you! YUCK.
How long do you cook this recipe?
My turkey breast was in the 6-pound range, which fit well in a 6-quart Instant Pot.
So the 35 minutes cook time worked out just fine.
Cooking times by amount of turkey:
4-pound turkey breast = 24 minutes + 10 minutes natural release
6-pound turkey breast = 35 minutes + 10 minutes natural release
8-pound turkey breast = 48 minutes + 10 minutes natural release
However, you may want to check the turkey breast with a digital thermometer to make sure the temperature is at 165 degrees F in the thickest part of the breast.
What about crispy skin?
If you want the turkey breast to have crispy turkey skin, place the cooked turkey breast in a baking dish. Set it under the broiler for a few minutes until the skin crisps up.
Closely watch the turkey breast in the broiler so you don't burn it! You cannot walk away and do something else.
You'd be amazed how quickly turkey goes from golden brown to black and burnt in a few seconds in the broiler.
How to make turkey gravy in the Instant Pot
1. To make the gravy, remove the trivet. Then strain the leftover liquids from cooking the turkey in the pressure cooker through a fine-mesh strainer to catch the herbs, onions, and celery.
2. Add the liquid back to the Instant Pot.
3. Use the Sauté function to heat the liquid.
4. In a small bowl, make a slurry of 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water. Add this to the Instant Pot and stir.
5. Heat until the liquid thickens, occasionally stirring. (If the turkey gravy gets too thick, add some water or chicken stock.)
Note: Most frozen turkey breast come with a gravy packet. This makes delicious gravy on its own. You can also add the turkey drippings to it along with a cup of chicken broth or water.
What to serve with turkey breast
Looking for some fantastic, easy-to-make recipes to serve with your Instant Pot turkey breast?
Try these Thanksgiving side dishes:
Check out the Best Gluten Free Thanksgiving Desserts Recipes and the Best Keto Thanksgiving Recipes for more delicious recipes for your holiday table.
What sides are you serving with your turkey this year?
- 6 pound turkey breast
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 4 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- Remove turkey breast from the wrapping. Pat dry.
- Rub butter completely over turkey breast.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper, and herbs.
- Sprinkle seasonings over turkey.
- Place the trivet inside the pot. Add chicken broth to Instant Pot.
- Add chopped onions and celery to Instant Pot.
- Place the turkey breast, breast side up into the pot on top of the trivet.
- Seal the lid and set to Manual High Pressure for 35 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, do a Natural Release for 10 minutes. Do this by leaving your Instant Pot on the warm setting and waiting 10 minutes.
- After that, open the pressure valve, release any remaining pressure, and carefully open the lid.
- Transfer turkey breast to a cutting board. Tent with foil and let rest for 15 minutes before cutting.
As an Amazon Associate Affiliate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 519Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 275mgSodium: 854mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 103g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated per the ingredients list. Serving size may not be accurate. Please double-check with your preferred nutritional app for the most accurate information.