Crock-Pot Vegan Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Parsnips is perfect for Thanksgiving or an every night dinner.
What I love about this side dish recipe is that it frees up oven and stovetop space since the sweet potatoes and parsnips are cooked in a slow cooker.
This way you’re guaranteed to have warm crock pot mashed sweet potatoes right up until serving time all the way until you serve seconds and thirds to your guests!
Why use parsnips in slow cooker mashed sweet potatoes?
This heavenly mashed recipe features two of my favorite root vegetables – sweet potatoes and parsnips. Many folks find sweet potatoes a little too sweet. That’s why I’ve “cut” them with parsnips.
If you aren’t familiar with parsnips, they’re a bit sweet, like carrots, but overly so.
This sweet potato and parsnip mash ratio of 1:1. If you’re a parsnips fan, add more of them, 2 pounds parsnips to 1 pound of sweet potatoes.
That way you have the gorgeousness of the sweet potato color and not so sweet, paleo mashed sweet potatoes dish.
Vegan mashed sweet potatoes, the perfect side dish for everyone’s diet
Slow cooker sweet potatoes with tasty parsnips are
● gluten-free, and
What if my holiday guests are doing paleo this year? Are mashed sweet potatoes paleo? Yes! As are parsnips.
(You can read more about what what starches are allowed on the paleo diet.)
Making vegan mashed sweet potatoes
You don’t need to add any milk or cream to these crockpot mashed sweet potatoes to make them rich and creamy tasting.
All you need is the use the water the vegetables are cooked in and a good non-dairy buttery spread.
Since I’m not vegan, I use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter! It does have a teeny bit of dairy in it, so it’s not vegan. (I can tolerate ICBINB even with my whey sensitivity, as I can manage small amounts of milk products without any serious side effects.)
However, if you’re allergic to dairy or vegan, use a vegan buttery spread like Earth Balance.
You could also use coconut butter instead of a buttery spread since it would pair well with the parsnips and sweet potatoes.
Mashed sweet potatoes recipe tips
Adding flavors to this easy mashed sweet potato recipe: I love making this easy crockpot sweet potatoes recipe, but you can jazz it up for the holiday table by:
● topping with toasted chopped pecans or sliced almonds
● sweetening with a sprinkle of brown sugar or a drizzle of maple sugar
● mixing in some vegetable broth or unsweetened coconut milk (instead of using the cooking water)
● adding some vegan sour cream, chopped parsley and chives for a savory mashed sweet potatoes recipe.
● folding in freshly chopped rosemary or thyme
Mashing: While using a hand potato masher is fine, you can use a food processor or a hand blender if you want your mashed sweet potatoes to be super smooth.
Short cuts: Many grocery stores now sell sweet potatoes already peeled and diced during the holidays. Yes, a bit pricey, but a big time saver during your busy Thanksgiving or Christmas cooking.
When you’re shopping 1 pound of sweet potatoes equals about three medium whole or 3½ to 4 cups chopped.
I usually can get the kids to help peel and chop the parsnips and sweet potatoes.
Maybe your kids would like to be making mashed sweet potatoes instead of cleaning their rooms? (HA!) Get those kids peeling and mashing!
Looking for other vegan Thanksgiving recipes?
● Gluten Free Cornbread Stuffing with Chorizo, Squash & Apples (comes with a vegan option)
● Vegan Cornbread with Rosemary
● Keto Pumpkin Mousse (vegan friendly)
● Sugar Free Cranberry Sauce (keto and vegan friendly)
● Dairy Free and Egg Free Cupcakes (vegan friendly)
Crock-Pot Vegan Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Parsnips
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peel and chopped into 1 to 2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds parsnips, peeled and chopped into 1 to 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 sage sprig
- 1/3 cup your favorite non-dairy vegan buttery spread
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place sweet potatoes, parsnips, and water in your slow cooker. Place sprig of sage on top. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Turn slow cooker setting to low. Remove sage sprig from slow cooker.
- Add buttery spread to crock. Using a potato masher, mash sweet potatoes, and parsnips until you get the desired consistency. Stir in salt and pepper to taste. You can use an immersion blender if you want a very smooth mash.
- Place lid back on crock until it’s time to serve.
- Serving size: 1/4 to 1/6 of recipe
Originally posted on November 21, 2014. Updated with new pictures and information.