Gluten Free Waffle Cake is something you’ll love serving up at special holiday brunches or weekend breakfasts.
What’s nice about this gluten free waffle recipe is that messy is good! If there’s jam and cream cheese oozing out the sides, all the better.
A waffle cake is the shabby chic of delicious breakfasts!
What’s a waffle cake?
You may have seen crepe cakes or waffle cakes in food magazines or on Pinterest. I’ve been dying to bake one up!
I always make my kids pancakes for their birthday breakfasts. But wouldn’t a waffle cake be something amazing for the whole family to share on the special day?
Maybe these dessert waffles are a little too much work to do on a school morning without getting up at the crack of dawn.
Creating a gluten free waffle recipe
This easy gluten free waffle recipe can be made with one of your favorite gluten free all purpose flours.
Find a list of the best gluten free flours in my Best Gluten Free Products List.
I also wanted to make dairy free waffles, so I used vegan cream cheese and rice milk. You could also use coconut milk.
I also used Polander All Fruit Red Raspberry Spreadable Fruit, which is sweetened only with fruit juices.
Variations on a waffle cake theme!
You don’t have to make this gluten free waffle recipe sweet. It could be savory instead!
Imagine using slices of Swiss cheese on one layer. Then maybe slices of bacon or ham on another layer of waffles.
Finally, try a layer of asparagus, and a nice runny egg on top! Yum. This would be a waffle cake for grownups, but I’d be first in line for it!
Buying the best waffle iron
For the Gluten Free Waffle Cake shown above, I used a waffle iron I got for a wedding gift 24 year ago that’s no longer being made.
But if you want heart shaped waffles, try the Chef’sChoice WafflePro 830 Traditional Five-of-Hearts Waffle Maker, which gets great reviews.
Another best waffle iron for all around waffle making is the Cuisinart WMR-CA Round Classic Waffle Maker.
Looking for more fun desserts?
Looking for more easy gluten free desserts for a party?
For the gluten free waffles:
- 3 cups gluten free all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons powdered monk fruit sweetener
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/2 cups rice or coconut milk
- 8 eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons gluten free vanilla extract
- Cooking spray
For the gluten free waffle cake:
- 1 8-ounce tub vegan cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons powdered monk fruit sweetener
- 1 10-ounce jar raspberry jam or preserves (low sugar)
- 1 large container raspberries
- Confectioner Swerve Sweetener
For the waffles:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and powdered monk fruit sweetener.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the rice or coconut milk, egg yolks, and coconut oil.
- In a stand mixer, whip the egg whites and vanilla on high until the eggs are glossy and form stiff peaks.
- Add the milk, egg yolks, and oil to the dry ingredients and blend together. The mixture will be very thick. With a rubber spatula, fold in egg whites with the rest of the ingredients. The entire mixture should be light and fluffy.
- Spray waffle iron and begin making waffles according to the manufacturer’s directions.
For the waffle cake:
- Place cream cheese and powdered monk fruit sweetener in a stand mixer or in a bowl with a hand mixer. Beat on medium until ingredients are combined and the cream cheese is smooth.
- Place a waffle on a plate or a cake stand. With a knife or spatula, spread a generous layer of sweetened cream cheese on one waffle.
- Place the next waffle on top and spread on a generous layer of the raspberry jam or preserves. Repeat until you have a stack of waffles.
- Place raspberries on the top waffle and sprinkle Confectioners (powdered) Swerve Sweetener on top of the fruit. Serve and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 565Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 186mgSodium: 776mgCarbohydrates: 74gFiber: 2gSugar: 20gProtein: 15g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated per the ingredients list. Serving size may not be accurate. Please double-check with your preferred nutritional app for the most accurate information.
Originally published on June 20, 2014. Updated with new pictures and information.