I learned to make crepes using Julia Child’s recipe from the Mastering the Art of French Cooking where you had to prepare the batter in a blender and refrigerate it overnight.
These days I make gluten free crepes using white rice flour.
These easy rice flour crepes are just as delicious as a classic crepes recipe. That's because I've added a few special ingredients.
First, I sweeten it by adding a little orange liqueur. But you could add a tablespoon or two of orange juice to this gluten free crepes recipe instead if you don’t have orange liqueur on hand.
If calories aren’t an issue, you could try molasses, honey or maple syrup in this rice flour crepes recipe.
How to make gluten free crepes
There’s a trick to making crepes with rice flour. It’s all about heating the pan to the right temperature then rolling the batter in the pan.
If you’re a first timer to making easy gluten free crepes, the Frugal Chef does a terrific video on how to cook up a crepe starting at the 3:20 minute mark.
Remember, when making gluten free crepes, practice helps. If they don’t turn out at first, don’t worry. You can eat any mistakes! They still be delicious, but not so pretty.
Serving suggestions for Easy Rice Flour Crepes Recipe
I enjoy serving crepes with rice flour a variety of ways. Traditionally, crepes are served with powdered sugar and a bit of lemon juice.
To keep it on the healthy side, I use Swerve Sweetener, Confectioners natural no calorie sugar and some fresh lemon juice. So good!
Sometimes I like to make gluten free crepes with yogurt and fruit.
Other mornings I like to smear a layer of sunflower butter, add some banana slices, and then roll up my rice flour crepes. I love how versatile they are!
Gluten free crepes with rice flour reheat well in the microwave.
That way you can make up a big batch on the weekend and have plenty to reheat during weekday mornings before everyone heads out to school and work.
This rice flour crepes recipe can be used to make savory dinner or brinner crepe recipes, too!
Gluten Free White Rice Flour Crepes
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk or alternative milk
- 1 tablespoon butter or buttery spread, melted
- 2 tablespoons orange flavored liqueur, orange juice, or sweetener
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Beat eggs in a medium-sized bowl. Add milk and melted butter. Stir to combine.
- Add white rice flour and salt. Stir until thoroughly mixed and blend until smooth.
- Heat a lightly greased, nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter into skillet and swirl to evenly distribute batter into a circle.Cook about 30 seconds per side until crepe begins to brown.
- Flip and cook on other side for 30 seconds until crepe begins to brown. Remove crepe and keep warm in oven until served.
- Repeat until batter is used up.
- Serving size: 3 crepes
Originally posted on May 30, 2014. Updated with new pictures and information.