Oven Roasted Vegetables are super easy to make. They make a wonderful side dish for a weeknight dinner.
These sheet pan roasted vegetables are tossed in olive oil, garlic, herbs, salt, and pepper, then roasted until perfectly tender.
Goes well with grilled chicken, steak, pork or lamb chops.
So tasty that they’ll have your family asking for seconds.
Got leftovers? Serve up cold oven roasted vegetables with a little vinaigrette and a squeeze of lemon as a tasty side dish for lunch the next day.
See how easy it is to make Sheet Pan Roasted Vegetables.
What are the best veggies to roast?
You can roast just about any vegetable you wish.
Oven roasted root vegetables are my favorite:
- carrots, sweet potatoes, red potatoes, carrots, beets, parsnips, fingerling potatoes, and so on
Other types of vegetables such as:
- asparagus, cauliflower, mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, zucchini, summer squash, butternut squash, corn on the cob, etc.
The possibilities are endless!
The beauty of this recipe for oven roasted vegetables is that you can use whatever vegetables you have on hand. Take advantage of the vegetables that are on sale at the store.
This roast vegetable recipe is perfect to use up all those goodies you’re getting from your food co-op, or what you find at the farmer’s market.
How to roast vegetables in the oven
Here’s how to how to roast vegetables:
Space out your vegetables accordingly. Don’t crowd the vegetables and roast them in only one layer.
If you leave them too close together, the veggies will steam and not roast.
Season your roasting vegetables well. While I used garlic powder, you could also try onion powder. Or use both!
If you only have garlic salt, just cut back on the regular salt.
Make sure to add salt and pepper before cooking, not after.
Don’t have fresh herbs? Use 1 teaspoon dried herbs for the 4 sprigs of thyme or parsley. And 3 teaspoons dried chives for the 3 tablespoons of fresh chives.
Set your oven to a high temperature. 400 degrees is perfect for roasting vegetables so you get a nice crispness.
You could go a little higher, to 425 degrees F, if you’re in a rush. Just keep an eye on your cooking so the vegetables don’t get burnt.
Swap out the vegetables. You don’t have to use the vegetables in the recipe below . You can pick and choose or substitute some of your favorites or what you find on sale.
How to serve roast vegetables? Sprinkle some grated Parmesan cheese over the vegetables. Or add a pat of butter. Amazing!
Like this recipe? You could also try making Marinated Roasted Vegetables, which uses a marinade of olive oil, red wine vinegar, and seasonings.
What tools do you need to make oven roasted veggies?
- a sharp chef’s knife to cut and chop your vegetables
- a baking sheet to roast the vegetables on
- you can line the baking sheet with parchment paper for easy cleanup
Dinners to serve with with roast veggies
Roast vegetables go great with these type of easy dinner recipes:
- meatloaf dishes like Meatloaf with Potato Chips & Carrots
- chicken dishes like Blackened Chicken Tenders
- grilled meat recipes like Grilled Soy-Lemon Flank Steak with Arugula
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 bunch asparagus, cleaned and cut
- 1 bunch (about 8-10) carrots, cleaned and cut
- 1 pound small red potatoes, washed and cut in half
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 (8-ounce) package mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1-1/2 bell peppers - green, red, yellow, orange, or a combination, cored, cleaned, and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3-4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Clean and cut roasting vegetables.
- Spread vegetables in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil and garlic powder.
- Add herbs, sliced garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Toss vegetables gently. Then bake another 10-20 minutes until all the roasted vegetables are tender.
- Remove the roasted veggies from the oven and allow to cool a bit before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 167Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 69mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 4g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated per the ingredients list. Serving size may not be accurate. Please double-check with your preferred nutritional app for the most accurate information.