Have you ever tried making Roasted Marinated Vegetables? I started making this vegetable dish totally by accident and it’s become a family favorite.
Before I usually made roasted vegetables by combining root veggies, olive oil, salt and pepper, and some seasonings. Then I baked them in the oven until they were done.
One day when we were having company, I wanted to try something different. Of course, I’ve marinated meats, but I’ve never tried it with vegetables. A star was born!
You can make grilled marinated vegetables or cook the vegetables in an oven. Either way is delicious and so easy to do.
How do you like your roasted marinated vegetables?
I initially served this for some of my husband’s friends from his bowling team along with my family. A tough crowd to please because I never know how vegetable dishes will go over with people since some folks don’t like veggies.
Needless to say, this dish disappeared and one of our guests asked for the recipe. It was such a success that I’ll be marinating my roast vegetables from here on out.
This Mama’s tips for making roasted grilled marinated vegetables
I originally made the marinade with NAKANO® Italian Herb Seasoned Red Wine Vinegar. However, NAKANO no longer makes this product. Instead, you can use any type of red wine vinegar.
Feel free to make substitutions on any of the vegetables. Don’t like eggplant? Add more squash. Have a lot of zucchini from the garden, add more of that!
If you choose to grill your veggies, I like using either a grilling basket or just laying a big sheet of aluminum foil right on top of the grill.
If you use foil to cook the vegetables, double up the foil sheet, and fold up the sides making a foil basket. Then coat the aluminum foil with olive oil cooking spray so the veggies don’t stick.
If you use the grilling method, cook the veggies until they’re getting soft and starting to caramelize and turning a light brown.
Serve the grilled or roast veggies on a cutting board or pretty platter right at the table so everyone can serve themselves family-style. It’ll save you the trouble of rushing back into the kitchen to get everyone seconds – or thirds!
What to serve with your Roasted Marinated Vegetables
Here are some delicious main dishes that will go well with grilled or roasted veggies:
Roasted Marinated Vegetables
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium red and yellow bell peppers
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium yellow squash
- 1 large red onion
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 ear of corn
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- tomatoes on the vine
- For marinade, combine all ingredients except vegetables in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Cut all vegetables into thin slices. Cut the corn into 1-inch x 1-inch segments.
- Place sliced and cut vegetables in a large bowl or rimmed platter. Drizzle marinade over vegetables, toss to coat and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place vegetables in a large oven safe pan, place in oven and cook for 20 minutes.
- Stir vegetables and cook until soft and slightly brown around the edges – about 10 to 15 minutes more.
- Stir vegetables and cook until soft and slightly brown around the edges – about 10 to 15 minutes more. Serve and enjoy!
- Serving size: 2 cups
Originally published on January 8, 2013. Updated with new photos and information.
Photo credit: DepositPhotos