Having company or family over for Thanksgiving or Christmas is stressful enough without having to spend the whole day in the kitchen roasting a turkey and preparing elaborate side dishes. Spiral cut ham is a great option since it's already precooked and pre-sliced and can be heated up in a slow cooker. You can put your own spin on it by creating a spicy – and gluten free – beer glaze as an easy and healthy alternative to using the sauce packet. It requires very little prep time and only a small amount of attention.
This Mama’s tips
- You’ll need to make sure that your slow cooker is big enough – or your ham small enough – to use the lid. If it doesn’t quite fit, you can cover the top with several sheets of aluminum foil instead.
- If you cannot find chutney at your local supermarket, use a cup of mild mango salsa plus a cup of peach or apricot preserves instead.
- This is a great recipe for Easter, too!
- For a roasting rack, I use two small, round cake racks at the bottom of my slow cooker.
- During the holidays when spiral cut ham is on sale, buy an extra to freeze. Use this recipe at your Super Bowl or March Madness party!
Crock Pot Ham with Gluten Free Beer and Chutney Glaze
- 1 5 to 6 pound fully cooked, spiral cut ham
- 1 jar mango chutney
- 3 tablespoons spicy or Dijon-style mustard
- 24 ounces gluten free beer
- Trim off any excess fat. Place ham on a metal roasting rack or trivet in a 5-quart or larger crock pot or slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours or on HIGH for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Remove tongs and metal rack from your slow cooker.
- Pour off and discard pan juice.
- Return ham to crock pot. If cooking on LOW, change setting to HIGH.
- Place chutney in a small bowl. Stir in mustard and beer.
- Pour chutney and beer mixture over ham into the crock pot. Cover and continue to cook for 30 minutes, basting every 5 minutes with the chutney and beer mixture.
- Transfer ham to a warm carving platter or a cutting board. Cover with foil and keep warm with a clean dish towel. Let stand for 15 minutes before uncovering and slicing.
- Spoon chutney and beer mixture over ham when serving.
- Serving size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 415
- Total Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Unsaturated fat: 8.6g
- Total Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 51g
Weight Watchers POINTS = 9