A gluten free crab stuffed mushroom appetizer that everyone will love. Serve this crab stuffed mushroom recipe at parties.
Make a batch of these gluten free stuffed mushrooms with crab as appetizers for your upcoming holiday party.
These cute little appetizers have lots of flavor. Everyone will swear these are the best mushroom appetizers they’ve ever had.
Why this recipe works
These are the best stuffed mushrooms for the holiday season! However, they do take some time and effort.
But they’re worth it since these disappear in a heartbeat at your party.
So, double the recipe. This way you can keep one batch of these easy gluten free appetizers in the oven waiting to go!
They’re also the perfect tasty appetizer for family gatherings or the Big Game.
Isn’t crab expensive?
Using imitation crab is super affordable. Just make sure the brand you use is certified as gluten free.
You’ll find it in the seafood section of most grocery stores.
I also use imitation crab in Crab Pasta with Pesto, Mushrooms & Tomatoes, a family favorite.
● Baby Bella mushrooms – see below about mushroom substitutions
● olive oil
● unsalted butter
● red bell pepper – use red and green for the holidays
● yellow onion
● mushroom stems – you’ll get stems when cleaning the Bella mushrooms
● minced garlic
● gluten free vegetable bullion powder – I recommend Massel Vegetable Flavor Bouillon Stock Powder
● gluten free panko – if you can’t find gluten free panko, you can use gluten free bread crumbs (or make your own)
● grated Parmesan cheese
● dried basil
● imitation crab – use flake style so it’s easy to chop up
How to make gluten free stuffed mushrooms with crab
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Cover the baking sheet (or sheets) with silicone mats or aluminum foil. Using a pastry brush, coat mushrooms with olive oil and place on the baking sheets. Place in oven and roast for 10 to 15 minutes until slightly tender.
3. Remove mushrooms from oven. Blot any puddles of moisture on the mushrooms or baking sheets dry with paper towels. Set aside to cool.
4. In a large large skillet over medium-high heat melt butter. Add red peppers, onions, mushroom stems, and garlic to the pan. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are slightly brown.
5. Add water and vegetable bouillon powder. Bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes. Turn off heat.
6. Add bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, basil, and crab. Mix thoroughly.
7. Spoon vegetable and crab mixture into the mushroom caps. Don’t be afraid to pile on the stuffing! Distribute evenly.
8. Evenly place stuffed mushroom caps on the baking sheets.
9. Place the baking sheets in the oven at 450 degrees F for 10 to 15 minutes until the stuffed mushrooms start to brown. Serve hot.
How to clean mushrooms for stuffing
Don't wash them. Instead, use a damp paper towel or a soft mushroom brush to wipe each individual mushroom to remove any dirt.
Then gently twist off or cut off the stem of each mushroom.
Reserve the mushroom stems to use in the stuffed mushroom filling.
I like to also peel off the outer skin, but that’s optional in this mushroom recipe.
Then to remove the gills, hold the mushroom in your hand and use a spoon to gently scrape the gills from the underside of the mushroom cap. Then discard.
What types of mushrooms?
I used Baby Bella mushrooms because they’re tasty and inexpensive. If you can’t find them, use white button mushrooms or large cremini mushrooms.
You can also use this recipe with larger Portobello mushrooms as a side dish.
Look for large stuffing mushrooms. This recipe is hard to make this easy recipe with smaller mushrooms.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yes, you can make stuffed mushrooms the day before the party.
Clean the mushrooms and make the stuffing the day before the party.
Then stuff and bake this mushrooms recipe just before the party begins. That way the appetizers arrive freshly baked from the oven.
If your party is more on the casual side, have your guests help prepare the final bake by spooning the stuffing into the mushroom caps.
Cover the cookie sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper for easy cleanup!
Can I make this dairy free?
To make this easy stuffed mushroom appetizer dairy free, use a non-dairy buttery spread.
For the cheese use a vegan option like a vegan Parmesan cheese, another type of vegan cheese, or some nutritional yeast.
More easy party appetizers
(Make Instant Pot Pressure Cooker Hard Boiled Eggs Recipe for perfect eggs.)
Looking for a sweet party dip? Try this yummy Easy Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip Recipe.
I also love serving Asian Style Gluten Free Meatballs as a dinner recipe.
Check out the Best Gluten Free Thanksgiving Desserts Recipes and the Best Keto Thanksgiving Recipes for more delicious recipes for your holiday table.
What's your favorite appetizer to serve at parties?
- 2 16-ounce cartons Baby Bella mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup butter or buttery spread
- 2/3 cup red bell pepper, small dice
- 2/3 cup yellow onion, small dice
- 2/3 cup mushroom stems, small dice
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free vegetable bullion powder
- 1/2 cup gluten-free panko style bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 8-ounce package imitation crab, flake style, chopped into small dice
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Cover baking sheets with silicone mats or aluminum foil. Using a pastry brush, coat mushrooms with olive oil and place on baking sheets. Place in oven and roast for 10 to 15 minutes until slightly tender.
- Remove mushrooms from oven. Blot any puddles of moisture on mushrooms or baking sheets dry with paper towels. Set baking sheets aside to cool.
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat melt butter. Add red peppers, onions, mushroom stems, and garlic to the pan. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are slightly brown.
- Add water and vegetable bouillon powder. Bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Add bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, basil, and crab. Mix thoroughly.
- Spoon vegetable and crab mixture into the mushroom caps. Don’t be afraid to pile on the stuffing! Distribute evenly.
- Evenly place stuffed mushroom caps on the baking sheets.
- Place baking sheets in the oven at 450 degrees F for 10 to 15 minutes until the gluten free crab stuffed mushrooms start to brown. Serve hot.
Serving Size:2 mushrooms
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 178Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 161mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 3g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated per the ingredients list. Serving size may not be accurate. Please double-check with your preferred nutritional app for the most accurate information.
Originally published on December 19, 2015. Updated with new pictures and information.