Make a batch of these Crab Stuffed Mushrooms as appetizers for your upcoming holiday party.
This crab stuffed mushroom recipe is gluten free, so will work for all your party guests. Don’t worry!
They’re so delicious that these cute little appetizers will amaze everyone, including the ones who aren’t gluten free!
They’ll swear this is the best mushroom appetizers they’ve ever had.
Last time I made these, my kids kept coming back for seconds and thirds. So imagine how your party guests will act!
Now these Crab Stuffed Mushrooms do take some time and effort.
So, double the crab stuffed mushroom recipe. This way you can keep one batch of appetizers in the oven warm on a platter waiting to go!
Making world’s best crab stuffed mushrooms on a budget
Concerned that making a crab stuffed mushroom recipe will affect your party budget?
Here’s a tip – use imitation crab! Make sure the brand you use is certified gluten free.
What I love about using imitation crab for mushroom appetizers and other recipes is that it’s fully cooked, sweeter and less fishy than real crab, and doesn’t fall apart in your cooking.
If you find imitation crab on sale, stock up and keep the extra in the freezer.
I use imitation crab in Crab Pasta with Pesto, Mushrooms & Tomatoes, a family favorite.
Tips to make these amazing crab stuffed mushroom appetizers
Concerned about timing? Then start making Crab Stuffed Mushrooms the day before the party!
Prepare the mushrooms (the peeling of the outer skin) and vegetable/crab stuffing the day before the party.
Then cook the mushrooms and prepare the final stuffing and baking just before the party begins so your mushroom appetizers arrive freshly baked from the oven.
If your party is more on the casual side, have your guests help prepare the final bake by spooning the stuffing into the mushroom caps.
I’m sure you have a few friends who think they’re Julia Child or Martha Stewart and would love to help bake up some crab stuffed mushrooms!
Or the kids can help make the mushroom appetizers. Don’t forget to bring out your extra holiday aprons, for a festive touch!
Make gluten free stuffed mushroom appetizers
Besides making sure the imitation crab is gluten free, you must do the following to make sure this is a gluten free recipe:
Use a gluten free bullion powder: I recommend Massel Vegetable Flavor Bouillon Stock Powder (Gluten-Free).
You can purchase it online if you can’t find it at your grocery store or health food store.
I love Massel Bouillon for making stock when you need just a bit for a recipe, you don’t have time to defrost frozen stock, or you forgot to pick up a few cans of stock at the store.
If you can’t find gluten free panko, you can try gluten free bread crumbs.
Make your own from gluten free toast ground up in a blender. Or use gluten free cereal or rice crackers placed in a zip lock baggie and crushed with a rolling pin!
Baking: Bake the crab stuffed mushroom appetizers on silicone baking mats makes for easy cleanup!
More easy party appetizers
(Make Instant Pot Pressure Cooker Hard Boiled Eggs Recipe for perfect eggs.)
- 2 16-ounce cartons Baby Bella mushrooms, stems removed, outer skin peeled off
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup butter or buttery spread
- 2/3 cup red bell pepper, small dice
- 2/3 cup yellow onion, small dice
- 2/3 cup mushroom stems, small dice
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons gluten free vegetable bullion powder
- 1/2 cup gluten free panko style bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 8-ounce package Imitation crab, flake style, chopped into small dice
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Cover baking sheets with silicone mats or aluminum foil. Using a pastry brush, coat mushrooms with olive oil and place on baking sheets. Place in oven and roast for 10 to 15 minutes until slightly tender.
- Remove mushrooms from oven. Blot any puddles of moisture on mushrooms or baking sheets dry with paper towels. Set baking sheets aside to cool.
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat melt butter. Add red peppers, onions, mushroom stems, and garlic to the pan. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are slightly brown.
- Add water and vegetable bouillon powder. Bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Add bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, basil, and crab. Mix thoroughly.
- Spoon vegetable and crab mixture into the mushroom caps. Don’t be afraid to pile on the stuffing! Distribute evenly.
- Place baking sheets in the oven at 450 degrees F for 10 to 15 minutes until the Crab Stuffed Mushrooms appetizers start to brown. Serve hot.
Serving Size:2 mushrooms
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 177Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 160mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 3g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated per the ingredients list. Serving size may not be accurate. Please double-check with your preferred nutritional app for the most accurate information.
Originally published on December 19, 2015 and December 14, 2016. Updated with new pictures and information.