There’s nothing more Southern than a homemade chicken waffles recipe. But how to make one that’s somewhat authentic, yet healthy and gluten free?
You see, I was dying to make an easy chicken waffles recipe after dining at Posana, a lovely, all gluten free restaurant in Asheville, North Carolina. I was excited to eat chicken waffles at their place, but was so disappointed to learn that the chicken was pulled chicken. Booo!
I decided I could do better at home and came up with this recipe for Gluten Free Chicken and Waffles with Jerk Spices that combined wholesome ingredients like skinless chicken breasts, egg whites, and gluten free panko bread crumbs.
When coming up with my recipe, I also wanted this chicken waffle recipe to be easy enough for you to use your favorite gluten free waffle mix instead of making waffles from scratch.
How to serve up a homemade chicken waffles recipe!
You can serve Gluten Free Chicken and Waffles with Jerk Spices at brunch, lunch or dinner. After all, it’s the ultimate brinner – breakfast for dinner – dish!
This Mama’s tips for making gluten free chicken and waffles
A meat pounder tenderizer is like a meat tenderizer, but is smooth and doesn’t have ridges. It helps get the chicken breast tender and thin. When tenderizing, sandwiching the chicken breast between the two pieces of plastic wrap prevents raw chicken from splattering all over your kitchen and makes clean up easier.
If you can’t find gluten free panko bread crumbs, you can use gluten free bread crumbs. Make your own from gluten free toast ground up in a blender. Or use gluten free cereal placed in a ziplock baggie and crushed with a rolling pin!
Spraying the breaded chicken with the canola cooking spray increases the heat at the surface of the chicken. This helps with browning and gives the chicken a bit more flavor and crispiness.
The cooling rack placed on a baking sheet allows the hot air to circulate around the breaded chicken for even cooking and crisping.
Do you like Southern food? Then check out this Easy Tomato & Okra Soup recipe.
Gluten Free Chicken and Waffles with Jerk Spices
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts (approximately 2 large chicken breast halves) skinless and boneless
- 2 egg whites, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2/3 cup gluten free panko bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons jerk seasoning
- Canola cooking spray
- Your favorite ggluten free waffle mix and ingredients (enough to make one batch of six waffles)
- Real real maple syrup, for serving
For the chicken
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place a cooling rack on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Place large piece of plastic wrap on a cutting board. Place chicken breast on it and cover with another piece of plastic wrap. Take a meat pounder, and pound the chicken breast until it’s between 1/4” and 1/2” and of an even thickness. Do the same to the second chicken breast.
- Trim off any fat or gristle. Then cut each breast into three evenly sized pieces. If there are any “raggedy bits,” cut these off and make into chicken nuggets. The nuggets will come in handy to test the chicken for doneness and can be place on top or side of the chicken as a garnish.
- In one pie pan, place egg whites and water. Stir to combine.
- In a second pie pan, place panko bread crumbs and jerk seasoning. Stir to combine.
- If you’re right handed, line up the chicken, then egg wash, then bread crumbs, then baking sheets. (Reverse if you’re left handed.) Then taking your right hand, grab one piece of chicken, dip in the egg wash, then roll thoroughly in the bread crumbs, and lay on the rack in the baking sheet. Repeat until all the chicken has been breaded. (This way you dirty only one hand!)
- Spray chicken with cooking spray.
- Place in oven and cook for 7 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Flip chicken and spray with cooking spray. Place in oven and cook for another 7 minutes until done.
- Keep chicken in oven on warm setting until waffles are ready to be served.
For the waffles
- While chicken is cooking, prepare a batch of waffles from your favorite gluten free waffle mix according to the directions.
- Each waffle should use 1/4 cup of waffle batter. Waffles don’t need to be perfectly formed. The funkier shaped the better!
- Cook waffles until golden.
- Place waffle on plate. Place one piece of chicken on waffle. If you’ve made chicken nuggets with “raggedy bits,” you can garnish the chicken and waffles with a couple of nuggets.
- Drizzle chicken and waffles with a generous amount of maple syrup. Serve immediately.
- Serving size: Serving size 1 to 2 waffles per person
Originally posted on June 4, 2015. Updated with new pictures and information.