If you’re looking for a spicy orange chicken recipe, try this Easy Chicken Skewers recipe served on Orange Quinoa.
Marinating chicken with orange juice is a wonderful way to flavor and tenderize poultry. In addition, unlike adding barbecue sauce, it doesn’t add a lot of unwanted calories from a sugary sauce.
Not only can you use orange juice to make marinade for the chicken skewer recipe, you then can use it to make Orange Quinoa. Quinoa doesn’t have much flavor, so cooking it in orange juice adds something special to it.
This Mama’s tips for making a delicious spicy orange chicken recipe
Since you put the chicken on bamboo kabob skewers before you marinade it, this soaks the skewers so they don’t burn while you’re grilling. This way you’ve conveniently skipped a step. Most recipes have you do the two steps separately – marinate chicken in one dish and soak the bamboo skewers in water in another pan.
You can serve this spicy orange chicken recipe as a snack or party appetizer by cutting the chicken into smaller pieces and cooking the chicken on thin appetizer skewers. Serve them with a spicy yogurt dip.
Instead, I chose to make my Easy Chicken Skewers into a meal by putting them on thicker skewers and serving them over Orange Quinoa. Serve them with a pitcher of (no-alcohol) Iced Tea Sangria – or the leftover orange juice.
Feel free to add more jerk seasoning to this spicy orange chicken recipe. My son and husband felt the chicken could have been spicier.
Easy Chicken Skewers with Orange Quinoa
For Easy Chicken Skewers:
- 3 pounds chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 (10 to 12-inch) bamboo skewers
For Orange Juice Marinade:
- 1 cup 100% orange juice
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons jerk seasoning
- 3 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
For Orange Quinoa:
For Easy Chicken Skewers and Orange Juice Marinade:
- Thread chicken cubes onto skewers. Place in a non-metallic baking dish.
- Prepare Orange Juice Marinade by combining all ingredients in a bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour marinade over chicken skewers. Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours or preferably overnight.
- Remove chicken skewers from marinade and discard marinade.
- Grill chicken skewers over medium high heat until cooked through. Serve with Orange Quinoa.
For the Orange Quinoa:
- Place water and orange juice in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat. Add quinoa, diced roasted red peppers, and salt to the saucepan.
- Bring quinoa back to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat. Let sit for 10 minutes. Fluff with a spoon and serve with Easy Chicken Skewers.
- Serving size: 1 skewer plus 1/6 of quinoa
Originally posted on September 7, 2014. Updated with new photos and information.