Last Updated on January 17, 2023 by Anne-Marie
You'll love this tasty grilled wahoo with tomatoes and olives if you've enjoyed dining on wahoo steaks at your favorite restaurant.
Why this recipe works
If you are big fans of wahoo fish, you’ll love grilling this at home.
What is wahoo?
Wahoo is a scombrid fish found in tropical and subtropical seas. In Hawaii, it's called “ono,” meaning “good to eat.”
My husband catches it in Mexico where its speed and high-quality flesh make it a prize fish.
Its firm white flaky flesh is the perfect texture for grilling. Its delicate flavor is often compared to chicken or veal.
You can find fresh wahoo at your local fish market or international market.
How to cook grilled wahoo on a gas grill
Try this easy-to-make grilled wahoo fish recipe with olives and tomatoes.
Or cook wahoo steaks on your grill with nonstick spray, salt, black pepper, butter, and a squeeze of lemon or fresh lime juice.
1. Heat the grill to high.
2. Brush both sides of the fillets with canola oil or olive oil.
3. Spray grill with a nonstick cooking spray.
4. Season fish with salt and pepper, to taste.
5. Place wahoo on the hot grill and immediately turn the dials to low. Close the cover.
6. Cook the wahoo fillets on the grill for about 4 to 6 minutes per side until done and you have nice grill marks.
To make the tomatoes and olives
1. While the fish is grilling, heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
2. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add the tomatoes and olives and cook until heated through.
4. Plate fish and spoon sauce over it. Serve.
More grilling recipes
If you like Mexican food, try The Best Authenic Carne Asada Marinade Recipe.
Next time you go camping, make Easy Grilled Salmon in Foil Recipe.
This EASY Smoked Beer Can Chicken Recipe can be made on a smoker or charcoal grill.
Have you tried Smoked Meatloaf Recipe? It’s amazing!
Make this Chimichurri Marinade and Sauce Recipe next time you grill steaks.
This Easy Chicken Marinade Recipe makes the best grilled chicken.
This Sriracha Chicken Kabobs Recipe can be made in the oven or grill.
What's your favorite recipe to cook up on the grill?
- 2 small to medium-sized wahoo fillets
- canola oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14.5-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and diced
- 1/2 cup manzanilla olives, pitted and diced
- Heat the grill to high.
- Brush both sides of the fillets with canola oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place fish on the grill and immediately turn the dials to low. Close the cover.
- Cook the fillets on the grill for about 4 to 6 minutes per side until done.
- While the fish is grilling, heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and olives and cook until heated through.
- Plate fish and spoon sauce over it. Serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 366Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 893mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 6gSugar: 6gProtein: 13g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated per the ingredients list. Serving size may not be accurate. Please double-check with your preferred nutritional app for the most accurate information.