It’s easy to make Instant Pot French Dip for dinner or parties.
Why this recipe works
Cooked with juice for dipping, you'll love how easy it is to make this meal in your pressure cooker.
These Instant Pot French Dip sandwiches are out of this world and are terrific for lunch or supper.
How to make Instant Pot French Dip sandwich
This Instant Pot French Dip recipe is a family favorite dinner recipe.
1. Turn your 6- or 8-quart Instant Pot on to the Sauté function.
2. When it reads HOT, add olive oil to the pot.
3. Season the roast with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
4. Sear the roast on all sides in the pressure cooker. Remove and set aside.
5. Pour the beef broth into the pressure cooker to deglaze the bottom of the pot.
6. Place the roast back into the pot. Sprinkle the au jus mix over the top.
7. Close the lid and set the pot to the meat/stew function.
8. Cook for 1 hour and 40 minutes. (That's 100 minutes.)
10. Remove the lid and transfer the roast meat to a plate.
11. Pile the shredded meat onto rolls and top with a slice and a half of provolone cheese.
12. Ladle au jus from the pressure cooker into small bowls or ramekins for dipping.
13. Store leftover meat and au jus in airtight containers in the refrigerator.
What is au jus?
When I was a kid, I always ordered the French dip sandwich when we went out to eat.
Like most kids, I liked to dip things. And I liked to dip my sandwich in the au jus. So. Much. Fun.
Au jus literally means "with juice" in French. It's the drippings from the cooked meat that's used as a delicious dipping sauce.
For this recipe, you’ll use one packet of dry au jus mix. Or 3 tablespoons if you use a jar of dry mix.
(See below on what dry au jus mix to use if you're gluten free.)
You'll sprinkle the dry mix over the roast in the pressure cooker.
After the meat is cooked, the juice is ladled out into small bowls or ramekins for dipping. Voila!
What's the difference between a French dip sandwich and an Italian beef sandwich?
A French dip sandwich is a beef sandwich with melted provolone cheese dipped into au jus.
Created in Chicago, Italian beef sandwiches feature sliced tender roast beef cooked in gravy topped with cooked bell peppers or Giardiniera.
What's your favorite?
What kind of beef roast?
The most economical cut is chuck roast, but you can also use a rump roast.
Some cooks use boneless top sirloin roast, which is leaner but more expensive.
If you hunt, or have someone who does in the family, you can make this Instant Pot French dip recipe with venison roast.
Can I make this in the slow cooker?
Yes, here's how to make Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches:
1. Sear and brown the roast in a pan on the stovetop in some olive oil.
2. Place the roast with salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and beef broth in the slow cooker.
3. Sprinkle the au jus packet over the top.
4. Close the lid and set the crock-pot on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours. Cook until the meat is pull-apart tender.
5. Remove the lid and transfer the roast meat to a plate to shred.
6. Pile the shredded beef onto rolls and top with cheese.
7. Ladle the au jus for dipping from the slow cooker into small bowls or ramekins.
8. Store leftover meat and au jus in the refrigerator.
What kind of bread?
You can use any kind of sandwich bread, rolls, or buns such as:
- soft rolls
- hoagie buns
- French bread
- slider buns (great for a party!)
- brioche buns
- sandwich rolls
Some people like to toast the buns. But that's optional.
Can I make this gluten free?
Here's what you need to do to make this family favorite a gluten free recipe:
Gluten free au jus mix: Use Orrington Farms Au Jus Mix. I love the Orrington Farms mixes. They're terrific!
Use 3 tablespoons of Orrington au jus mix. (One packet of dry mix is 1 ounce or about 3 tablespoons.)
Beef broth: Make sure any broth you're using is certified to be gluten free. Check the label!
Sandwich bread: Use your favorite gluten free sandwich bread or buns.
Check a local gluten free bakery for something awesome to use with these shredded beef sandwiches.
What kind of cheese?
Each French dip sandwich should have a slice of provolone cheese. In a pinch, you can also use Swiss cheese.
You can place the sandwich in a warm oven for 3-4 minutes until the slice of cheese melts. Delish!
More easy instant pot dinner and side dishes recipes
- Spicy Instant Pot Jambalaya Recipe
- Best Instant Pot Baked Beans Recipe
- Yummy Instant Pot Pork Chops Recipe
- Amazing Instant Pot Spaghetti Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 pound chuck roast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cups beef broth
- 3 tablspoons dry au jus mix (1 packet)
- 12 slices of provolone cheese
- 8 sandwich rolls
- Turn Instant Pot on and set to Sauté.
- When it reads HOT, add olive oil to the pot.
- Season roast with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Sear roast on all sides in the Instant Pot. Remove roast and set aside.
- Add in broth to deglaze the bottom of the pot.
- Place roast back into the pot and sprinkle the au jus mix over the top of the roast.
- Close the lid and set the pot to the meat/stew function.
- Cook for 1 hour and 40 minutes.
- After cooking let the pot naturally release for 25 minutes, then turn the valve to vent any remaining pressure.
- Remove lid and transfer meat to a plate.
- Serve meat on sandwich roll with a slice and a half of cheese.
- Ladle au jus from the pressure cooker for dipping into small bowls or ramekins.
- Store leftover meat and au jus in the refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate Affiliate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 871Total Fat: 52gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 220mgSodium: 1499mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 0gProtein: 72g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated per the ingredients list. Serving size may not be accurate. Please double-check with your preferred nutritional app for the most accurate information.