Last Updated on October 5, 2021 by Anne-Marie
This is the easiest Instant Pot baked beans recipe you'll find. Serve them as the perfect side dish with your favorite BBQ dishes or grilled foods.
These sweet but smoky beans are cooked up with bacon, brown sugar, and your favorite barbecue sauce.
Do you need to soak the beans to make baked beans in an instant pot?
You don't have to soak the dry beans. That's the beauty of this recipe!
However, you can also substitute the dry beans for three (15.5 ounce) canned beans that are drained and rinsed.
Add the pinto beans to the pressure cooker when the recipe instructs you to add the cooked beans.
How to make Instant Pot Baked Beans
This is one of my favorite Instant Pot recipes for summer BBQ. This recipe is for a 6-quart electric pressure cooker.
1. Add the beans and 8 cups of water to the Instant Pot. Lock the lid into place. Cook on High pressure for 25 minutes.
2. When done, carefully do a quick release of the steam valve.
3. Remove the lid to release any extra steam. Then pour the tender beans into a colander to drain off any water.
4. Set the Instant Pot to the Saute function. Add the chopped bacon.
5. Stir and cook the bacon for 5-8 minutes or until crispy.
6. Add the chopped onions. Continue cooking for 3-4 minutes or until softened.
7. Add the cooked beans back into the Instant Pot along with the rest of the ingredients. To avoid getting a burn notice, wipe down the rim of the pot with a damp paper towel.
8. Place the lid on the pot. Cook on High for 10 minutes.
10. When cooking time is up, carefully perform a Quick Release.
11. Remove the lid, stir the baked beans. Serve immediately.
12. Store leftovers in an airtight refrigerator.
Get more Instant Pot Tips at When is it Safe to Open my Instant Pot?
Read this if you're wondering why your Instant Pot isn't heating or working.
What kind of dry beans are used in Instant Pot baked beans?
I used dry navy beans and pinto beans. You can also use Great Northern beans.
People like pinto beans because they're creamier. Some prefer Great Northern beans because they're larger. Others swear by white navy beans.
It's up to you. Use whatever type of bean you have on hand and what's on sale at the grocery store.
Using a combination is a terrific idea, too. This is a great recipe to use up leftover dried beans from other recipes.
What to serve with baked beans (and some baked bean trivia)
There's nothing better than serving this baked beans recipe with barbecue classics like cornbread, smoked brisket, and Instant Pot pulled pork.
Some other easy recipes are Instant Pot Country Style Ribs or chicken dishes like Crockpot Whole Chicken, Sheet Pan Chicken Thighs, or Crockpot BBQ Chicken.
Of course, if you're a fan of British food, you love beans on toast for breakfast.
Now British baked beans are a bit different than American baked beans. Theirs has more tomato sauce, no bacon, and Worcestershire sauce.
In Canada, their baked beans are flavored with maple syrup, of course.
And if you were wondering, Boston baked beans are different than *just* baked beans because they're made with molasses and salt pork, not bacon.
Can I make sugar-free baked beans?
Here's how to eliminate the sugar in this baked beans recipe:
Barbecue sauce: Use my Sugar-Free BBQ Sauce recipe or your favorite sugar-free bbq sauce from the grocery store.
If you're gluten-free, check the label for any hidden sources of gluten, of course.
Brown sugar: Use Swerve Sweetener, Brown. I love this natural, no-calorie sweetener. It has no bitter aftertaste and cooks up just like the real thing.
If you're looking for a baked beans recipe for the slow cooker, try this super simple Crock-Pot Baked Beans recipe.
It's made with red kidney beans, canned pork and beans, canned chili beans, and hot dogs. Seasoned with yellow mustard, brown sugar, and maple syrup, it's a crowd-pleaser. Yummy!
Everyone loves it and it's terrific to bring to potlucks and cookouts.
How long does the Instant Pot baked beans last?
These baked beans last for up to a week in the fridge if stored in an airtight container.
Can you freeze Instant Pot baked beans?
You certainly can freeze baked beans.
Just let them cool first. Then pour them into a freezer-safe container. You can also use a Ziploc baggie. (Press out all the extra air.)
Label and date the container or baggie. Baked beans stay good in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To defrost, put the container or baggie in the fridge and let it thaw out overnight. Then reheat the baked beans in a saucepan on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Instant Pot Baked Beans Recipe
Serve up this easy Instant Pot baked beans recipe at your next cookout. Baked beans in an instant pot are sweet, smoky, and tender.
- 1 pound dry navy or pinto beans, or a combination
- 8 cups cold water
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown or Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Add the beans and water to the Instant Pot and lock the lid into place. Cook on High for 25 minutes.
- When done, carefully do a quick release of the steam valve.
- Remove the lid to release any extra steam. Then pour cooked beans into a colander to drain off any water.
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté. Add the chopped bacon.
- Stir and cook the bacon for 5-8 minutes or until crispy.
- Add the chopped onions. Continue cooking for 3-4 minutes or until softened.
- Add the cooked beans back into the Instant Pot along with the remaining ingredients.
- Place the lid on the pot. Cook on High for 10 minutes.
- When the time is up, carefully perform a quick release.
- Remove the lid, stir the baked beans. Serve immediately.
- Store leftovers in an airtight refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate Affiliate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 181Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 416mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 4gSugar: 19gProtein: 7g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated per the ingredients list. Serving size may not be accurate. Please double-check with your preferred nutritional app for the most accurate information.