This grilled pineapple Tropical Ice Cream Sandwich recipe is a unique dessert. Make them for parties and cookouts, especially those with a Hawaiian luau theme.
It’s a somewhat guilt free treat since it’s made with healthy pineapple, unsweetened toasted coconut, and your favorite vanilla ice cream.
What’s nice about making these ice cream sandwiches is that it’s a naturally gluten free ice cream sandwich recipe.
Since one tropical ice cream sandwich is cut in half to make two servings, it makes a a cute romantic dessert.
Or they’re perfect for warm weather snacking! You can make them as an afternoon snack for the kids, since it only uses 1/2 cup of ice cream per serving.
How to make a Tropical Ice Cream Sandwich
Buying and cutting up pineapple
First, if you’re unsure about how to pick and slice up a fresh pineapple, I found this video on how to buy and cut up a pineapple very helpful.
Grilling the pineapple
Don’t want to fire up your outdoor grill when making this homemade ice cream sandwich recipe?
This ice cream sandwich dessert recipe uses unsweetened shredded coconut.
Here’s how to make your own:
1. Place unsweetened shredded coconut in an already warm non-stick skillet.
2. Continue to cook coconut on low medium heat until the coconut starts to brown.
3. Stir the coconut frequently. Keep an eye on it as the coconut can start to burn before you know it!
4. As soon as the coconut has browned a bit, dump it out on a plate. Then cool it in the freezer for 5-10 minutes before adding it to your Tropical Ice Cream Sandwich.
Assembling the ice cream sandwiches
When putting together the tropical ice cream sandwiches, keep everything (ingredients, plates and utensils) cold as possible.
Otherwise, you’ll have a melty mess on your hands!
Go dairy free!
Even a dairy free fruit sorbet would work!
How to store ice cream sandwiches
Here’s the best way to store the tropical pineapple sandwiches so they stay fresh in the freezer:
1. Make up a batch of Tropical Ice Cream Sandwiches in advance to when you want to eat them, like for a party. (You can make about four sandwiches per quart of ice cream or sorbet.)
2. Then wrap your vanilla ice cream sandwiches in heavy duty foil.
3. Place the wrapped in a plastic baggie. Press out as much air as possible and seal.
4. Keep them in the freezer until serving time.
More kid friendly desserts
Looking for more desserts that your children will love? Check these out:
These Ice Cream Cones Cupcakes don’t melt since the “ice cream” is made from frosting.
This Easy Mardi Gras King Cakes Recipe with Cream Cheese Cinnamon Filling is made with crescent dough.
Everyone loves Rice Flour Snickerdoodles Cookies.
- 2 (1/4-inch thick) fresh pineapple slices
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream (dairy free or regular)
- 2 tablespoons toasted unsweetened shredded coconut
- Grill pineapple slices over low to medium heat for 90 seconds on each side.
- Allow the grilled slices to cool in the freezer.
- Sandwich the softened vanilla ice cream between the 2 grilled slices of pineapple.
- Coat sides in toasted coconut. Slice in half and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 197Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 55mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 2gSugar: 19gProtein: 3g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated per the ingredients list. Serving size may not be accurate. Please double-check with your preferred nutritional app for the most accurate information.
Originally posted on August 27, 2015. Updated with new pictures and information.