Holland House is holding a Holiday Sweepstakes Bash on Facebook where you can win $500 for your holiday party. You’ll also get advice from an expert blogger party planner to help you plan your holiday bash. All you need to do is “like” the Holland House Facebook page and then enter the contest here. The sweepstakes ends on December 7, 2011 at 11:59:59 pm CT.
This Mama’s tips
- To make this dish dairy free and vegan, use a buttery spread instead of butter. Instead of whipping cream, use coconut cream (not coconut milk).
- Whipped sweet potatoes may be made a day ahead and refrigerated. Reheat in microwave, covered, on medium power. Stir occasionally.
- 3 pounds orange-flesh sweet potatoes (red garnets)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Holland House Marsala Cooking Wine
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (gluten free)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Grated peel of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup whipping cream (optional)
- Fill a 6-quart pot halfway with water. Peel each potato and place in pot to prevent browning. Cut potatoes into 1-inch cubes and return to pot. Drain water so there is enough just to cover potatoes. Stir in salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Boil 10 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- In a small microwaveable bowl or 1-cup glass measuring cup, heat marsala cooking wine in microwave 1 minute on medium power or until very hot. Stir in butter, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and orange peel.
- When potatoes are cooked, drain water from pot. Add marsala cooking wine mixture to pot. Whip with electric beater until smooth. Stir in cream, if desired. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Serving size: 1 cup
Disclosure: Mizkan, the parent company of Holland House, provided compensation for this post. All opinions are my own.