This recipe for Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken is perfect for a busy weeknight dinner.
It’s also a terrific dish for entertaining because shredded Mexican chicken is so easy to make.
You have the option of preparing this tasty crockpot Mexican chicken the night before, the morning of, or four hours before your party or that night’s dinner.
What could be easier?
How to cook Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken
It’s so easy to put this Mexican shredded chicken dish together. Here’s how:
1. Prepare your crock. You can either spray it with cooking spray so nothing sticks.
However, I prefer using slow cooker liners for easy clean up. They’re such a time saver!
Now that I always use liners, I no longer have to scrub it with Bar Keepers Friend and a scouring pad.
2. Place chicken breasts at the bottom of the crock.
3. Pour the cans of RO*TEL tomatoes, crushed pineapple with juice, drained corn, drained and rinsed black beans, and salt on top of chicken breasts.
4. Using a large spoon, carefully mix ingredients together. Make sure to leave the chicken on the bottom.
(You can also mix the tomatoes, pineapple, beans, etc. in a bowl and pour it on top of the chicken. But this way, you don’t have an extra dish to wash.)
6. Shred the chicken.
Can I prepare this the night before?
Sure! You can put all the ingredients together in your crock-pot. Cover and place it in the refrigerator.
Then get it cooking on High for 4 to 6 hours or on Low for 6 to 8 hours.
Depending on when you need to have it done for dinner or a party, you can start cooking it first thing in the morning or not until the afternoon.
Tips for making slow cooker shredded chicken
If you don’t have a six-quart slow cooker, I suggest dividing the food evenly into two smaller slow cookers.
Diced tomatoes: I specified RO*TEL Hot Diced Tomatoes and Habaneros and RO*TEL Mexican Style Diced Tomatoes with Lime Juice and Cilantro.
As far as I can tell, there isn’t a generic store brand for either style of diced tomato.
However, you can substitute a store brand of mild diced tomatoes with green chilies for the hot diced tomatoes if you’d like a little less heat.
Rice: Make brown rice in a rice cooker. That way it can stay warm throughout your party or dinner when serving this recipe for shredded Mexican chicken.
I love using rice cookers since you get perfect rice every time. If you cook rice frequently, invest in the best rice cooker you can afford.
And if you’re not into brown rice, using white rice in this recipe is OK, too. (Brown rice is so much better for you though!)
Got leftovers? Leftover crockpot Mexican shredded chicken can be served in sandwich wraps.
Can I freeze leftovers? Of course! Use a food freezer container that you can label and date.
Thaw the frozen slow cooker Mexican chicken in the refrigerator and reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Serving suggestions for slow cooker Mexican chicken
Normally, slow cooker shredded chicken can be served as an shredded chicken burrito recipe or an easy shredded chicken taco recipe.
When entertaining, I find tacos and burritos can be a bit messy, especially when people are trying to mingle or watch a game on TV.
Go buffet style!
There’s nothing easier than setting up a buffet for either dinner with the family or a party with friends.
Show everyone how to make this easy shredded chicken recipe. Explain that you first put the rice in the bowl, then the shredded chicken.
What type of toppings?
After adding the chicken, you add the toppings to the bowls such as:
To spice up this slow cooker shredded chicken recipe, add some Mexican style hot sauce.
Need a party drinks suggestion to go with your Mexican shredded chicken bowls?
More slow cooker chicken recipes
Check out this Slow Cooker Chicken Adobo Recipe with Quinoa, too. You can also serve the chicken adobo on rice.
- Cooking spray or liners
- 5 pounds chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 2 10-ounce cans RO*TEL Mexican Style Diced Tomatoes with Lime Juice and Cilantro
- 2 10-ounce cans RO*TEL Hot Diced Tomatoes and Habaneros
- 1 20-ounce can crushed pineapple with 100% juice
- 2 15.25-ounce cans sweet golden whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
For serving as Mexican shredded chicken bowls
- Brown rice
- Mexican style shredded cheese
- avocado, sliced
- hot sauce
- onion, chopped
- lemon and limes, sliced
- Spray the inside of the crock with cooking spray. Or line with a slow cooker liner. Place the chicken breasts at the bottom of the crock.
- Place the RO*TEL tomatoes, crushed pineapple with juice, drained corn, drained and rinsed black beans and sea salt on top of chicken breasts. Using a large spoon, carefully mix ingredients except for the chicken, which should be left on the bottom.
- Cover and place on High for 4 to 6 hours or on Low for 6 to 8 hours.
- An hour before chicken will be ready, make enough rice to serve 10-12 people.
- When chicken is easily shredded with a fork, remove all ingredients with tongs and a slotted spoon. There will a lot of liquid in the crock, so you’ll need to strain it. Set the liquid aside temporarily.
- Shred the chicken with a fork and place all the food back into the slow cooker. Mix all the ingredients until they’re thoroughly incorporated. Place your slow cooker on the low setting, if it has one. If not, turn it off and unplug it.
- Taste the shredded Mexican chicken. If it’s dry, add back some of the liquid you removed and taste again until you’re satisfied. Toss any remaining liquid.
- To serve, place brown rice in a bowl, put some of the shredded chicken on top, then add toppings such as shredded cheese, avocado, chopped onion, hot sauce, and a squeeze of lemon or lime. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 517Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 163mgSodium: 819mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 10gSugar: 13gProtein: 67g