Last Updated on February 25, 2022 by Anne-Marie
You’ll love this easy mushroom risotto recipe that can be made in about 30 minutes.
Why this recipe works
You’ll love this Wild Mushroom Risotto dish if you’re searching for an easy risotto recipe. This delicious and elegant recipe is as good as anything you’d get in a restaurant.
Best of all, this easy mushroom risotto recipe doesn’t take forever to make.
Normally I hate making risotto because you have to stand at a hot stove and stir constantly.
Instead, this risotto has to be stirred occasionally and can be made in about 30 minutes.
Of course, it makes the ideal side dish for a variety of meals. See 35 Side Dishes to Serve with Chicken Cordon Bleu.
Tips to making easy mushroom risotto
What type of rice?
You must use arborio rice when making risotto. You cannot substitute any other kind of rice.
Arborio rice is an Italian short-grain rice. Traditionally grown in Italy, it’s now produced in Arkansas, California, and Missouri.
Due to the due to its higher amylopectin starch content, arborio rice’s rounded grains are creamy, firm and chewy when cooked.
What type of mushrooms?
The first secret to making a delicious easy risotto recipe is the mushrooms you choose.
Feel free to use a variety of fresh or dried mushrooms depending on your budget, what’s available at your store or farmer’s market, or your personal tastes.
For my wild mushroom risotto, I used some of the chanterelles we’ve harvested in our woods and dried. You can find dried chanterelle mushrooms online.
How to use dried mushrooms:
Since I used dried mushrooms, I had to reconstitute them. Here’s how:
1. I measured out about 1 1/2 cups dried mushrooms for every 1 cup of fresh mushrooms the recipe called, or 6 cups total.
2. I put the dried mushrooms in a bowl and covered them with boiling water.
3. I let the mushrooms soak for 20 minutes until they were soft.
4. I then drained the mushrooms and saved the water to use in the recipe.
5. I used 3 1/2 cups of the “mushroom water” and 3 1/2 cups water. If you are using dried mushrooms and have less “mushroom water,” just make sure your final water amount equals 7 cups.
Tips for making mushroom risotto
Make gluten free stock
The trick to making Wild Mushroom Risotto super easy and gluten free is using Massel Bouillon Cubes to make a quick stock.
Massel bouillon is also terrific for deliciously seasoning soups, stews and vegetable sautés.
Make vegetarian risotto
To make this easy risotto recipe vegetarian, use Massel Vegetable Bouillon & Seasoning Granules.
How to make a dairy free risotto
If you’re dairy free, use a vegan buttery spread instead of butter and leave out the Parmesan Reggiano cheese.
Best way to grate the cheese
If you are using cheese, grate it with a zester-style grater instead of a traditional cheese grater.
A zester will give you a light dusting of cheese that will deliciously melt into your risotto. YUM!
More easy rice recipes
Got an instant pot? Try this Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Recipe.
This Mexican Picadillo Recipe is served on rice.
This Zesty Slow Cooker Porcupine Meatballs Recipe is made with red beans and rice mix.
This Easy Mexican Rice Recipe is a wonderful side dish anytime you serve Mexican food.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 7 cups water
- 8 Massel Vegetable Bouillon & Seasoning Granules
- 4 tablespoons Parmesan Reggiano cheese, grated plus additional grated cheese for serving
- 2 teaspoons buttery spread or butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes)
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium-high heat.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and garlic to the pot. Sauté until mushrooms are tender and juices have evaporated.
- Add the rice, water, and Massel Bouillon Cubes, mixing well. Bring it to a simmer.
- Reduce heat. Stir occasionally for 20 minutes or until the rice has absorbed most of the water, is cooked through and creamy.
- Remove pot from heat. Add Parmesan Reggiano cheese, buttery spread, and chopped parsley, mixing well.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with grated cheese on the side so everyone can garnish their own bowls.
As an Amazon Associate Affiliate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 292Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 369mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 8gSugar: 7gProtein: 10g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated per the ingredients list. Serving size may not be accurate. Please double-check with your preferred nutritional app for the most accurate information.
Originally posted on January 31, 2014. Updated with new pictures and information.