In an authentic Mexican chilaquiles (chee-la-KEE-les) recipe, corn tortillas are cut in quarters or strips and fried.
Basically, what you’re doing is making tortilla chips. And who has time for that even on weekend mornings?
Instead, skip that step – and all that oil and mess – and use thick tortilla chips from the store in this Easy Breakfast Chilaquiles Recipe!
What makes breakfast chilaquiles recipes even easier is that you can make it all in one oven-safe skillet, which makes for easy clean up.
Do you make your chilaquiles green or red?
With the addition of queso fresco cheese, it’s such a hearty dish, you can serve it for brinner (breakfast for dinner), too!
What makes this an easy breakfast chilaquiles recipe?
This Mexican breakfast chilaquiles recipe features eggs. That makes this chilaquiles recipe perfect for a special weekend breakfast.
Or you can serve this easy to make chorizo and egg dish for “brinner” – breakfast for dinner.
I don’t know about you, but I love having eggs for dinner.
This Mama’s tips for how to make an easy breakfast chilaquiles recipe
Salsa: I used my favorite canned salsa verde for my easy breakfast chilaquiles recipe.
Any store brand will do, but check the label for any ingredients you’re trying to avoid.
Chorizo: Can’t find chorizo at your grocery store? Use my How to make homemade chorizo recipe! Very easy to do and you can adjust the spiciness as well.
Cilantro: If you’re serving this Easy Breakfast Chilaquiles Recipe for guests, not everyone likes cilantro. So ask first and serve the cilantro on the side if needed.
Cheese: If you can’t find queso fresco cheese for your Mexican breakfast chilaquiles recipe, a shredded Mexican blend or Monterey Jack cheese will work as a substitute.
Eggs: When making breakfast chilaquiles recipes, not everyone wants their eggs done the same way. Some want them runny and others well done.
If that’s the case, cook the eggs “to order” in a separate pan and serve individually.
Then bake your Easy Breakfast Chilaquiles without the eggs for just enough time just to melt the cheese – about 5 minutes.
Looking for another delicious way to start your day?
Try these easy breakfast recipes:
● Blueberry French Toast Casserole Recipe
Easy Breakfast Chilaquiles
- 3/4 cup diced white onions
- 4 ounces chorizo sausage
- 2 cups salsa verde
- 4 cups thick tortilla chips
- 4 eggs from the happy egg co.
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup crumbled queso fresco cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 sliced and diced avocados
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large oven safe skillet, sauté onions with chorizo over medium heat. Cook until chorizo starts to brown and is nearly cooked through.
- Add salsa verde to skillet. Bring temperature up to medium high and bring mixture to a slow boil. Scrape up any brown bits. Simmer for 3-5 minutes until sauce thickens. Stir occasionally.
- Add tortilla chips by the handful to the skillet. Toss with a spatula to completely cover the chips in the sauce. Don’t worry about breaking some of the chips.
- Remove skillet from heat. With a large spoon, make a well in the sauce and chips. Then crack 1 egg into it. Repeat with the remaining 3 eggs. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer skillet to oven and bake until the whites are set and the yolks just start to set, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove skillet from oven and top with cheese, cilantro, and avocado.
- Serving size: 1/4 of skillet