Check out this easy to make Best Oatmeal Smoothies Recipe if you love a fruit smoothies recipe that’s good for breakfast as it is for an after workout snack.
It combines the best of a frozen fruit smoothie with the yummy goodness of a bowl of oatmeal.
This is also a dairy free smoothie. So if you have to avoid dairy, this is the smoothies recipe for you!
How to make an easy oatmeal smoothie
I love adding oatmeal to a fruit smoothies recipe.
1. Bring water to a boil.
2. Add oats and return water to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
3. Add powdered monk fruit, dried cranberries, apple, and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
4. Simmer 2 more minutes. Stir occasionally. Then cover and turn off the heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
5. Add cooked oatmeal, soy or coconut milk, frozen (not thawed) strawberries, banana, and ice cubes to a blender.
6. Cover and blend on high until strawberries and ice cubes are pulverized and the mixture is creamy.
If the smoothie mixture is too thick, add more soy or coconut milk and/or ice cubes and blend some more.
What type of oatmeal?
Make sure to use instant oatmeal, which is just as nutritious as steel cut or old fashioned oats. (It’s just cut up in smaller pieces so it cooks up quicker.)
I always use oatmeal for baking or as a hot breakfast cereal. However, now that it’s getting warm out, the last thing I’d want for breakfast is a steaming bowl of oatmeal.
With this cold yet satisfying oatmeal smoothies recipe, you get all the benefits of oatmeal as well as fruit.
Gluten free? If you’re gluten free, make sure to use oatmeal that’s certified as gluten free. Even though oatmeal is naturally gluten free, it can be contaminated during growing, processing or shipping.
Buying certified gluten free oatmeal means you won’t get glutenized!
How to serve your smoothie?
Make the oatmeal smoothies the night before by putting them in 16 ounce Mason jars with lids.
This way you save time in the morning. Just grab a jar out of the fridge and go! (Don’t forget a straw.)
After drinking your smoothie, toss the straw and put on the lid. That way you can safely store the dirty jar until you get home – no spills!
Tips for making an easy oatmeal smoothies
All are natural, no calorie sweeteners.
Go dairy free: To make this oatmeal smoothie recipe dairy free, I like using unsweetened soy milk or coconut milk and frozen strawberries and ice cubes instead of yogurt.
If you’re looking for more dairy free drinks try a this Quick & Healthy Horchata Recipe made with rice milk.
Too thick? Finally, if you find that that the oatmeal smoothie is too thick, you can add more soy or coconut milk to the jar. Then put the lid back on and shake it up!
Looking for more healthy smoothie recipes?
Check out this Healthy Banana Smoothie, which is made with sweet plum juice.
Try a Coffee Breakfast Smoothie instead of your usual morning coffee.
This Protein Packed Berry Smoothie Recipe is one of my kids’ favorites.
This Easy Berry Quick Iced Tea Smoothie is a wonderful afternoon pick me up.
Try this Pumpkin Smoothie Recipe made with tofu and pumpkin puree.
For the oatmeal:
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup instant oatmeal
- 1/4 cup powdered monk fruit
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
For the blender add-ins:
- 1 cup unsweetened soy or coconut milk
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 banana
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Bring water to a boil.
- Add oats and return water to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add powdered monk fruit, dried cranberries, apple, and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
- Simmer 2 more minutes. Stir occasionally. Then cover and turn off the heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add cooked oatmeal, soy or coconut milk, frozen (not thawed) strawberries, banana, and ice cubes to a blender. Cover and blend on high until strawberries and ice cubes are pulverized and the mixture is creamy.
- If the smoothie mixture is too thick, add more soy or coconut milk and/or ice cubes and blend some more.
As an Amazon Associate Affiliate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 282Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 65mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 6gSugar: 19gProtein: 4g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated per the ingredients list. Serving size may not be accurate. Please double-check with your preferred nutritional app for the most accurate information.
Originally posted on April 23, 2015. Updated with new pictures and information.