This Chicken Fajita Salad recipe is an easy no cook weeknight dinner the whole family can enjoy that can be made in 20 minutes!
I’ve made this easy to make dinner recipe with a few extra helpings so you can have leftovers the next day to take to lunch.
Just roll the leftover chicken fajita salad into flour or low carb whole wheat tortillas for a chicken fajita salad wrap. Easy!
I also find my kids prefer fajita salad in wraps for dinner instead of as a salad. It’s all about the presentation!
Making a no cook fajita salad
Looking for an easy no cook recipe for dinner?
Well, what makes preparing this recipe chicken fajita salad super easy is using an already grilled chicken product from your grocery store’s freezer section.
Many companies now make grilled chicken strips such as Perdue, Tyson, Foster Farms, Applegate, and many store brands.
Try to find a Southwestern or fajita variety of grilled chicken strips for this chicken fajita salad recipe since the chicken would be flavored just right for this recipe.
Otherwise, any grilled chicken strips variety should do in a pinch.
(You could brush a little taco seasoning or a bit of hot sauce on the chicken if you wish. But otherwise, don't worry about it.)
Since the chicken is already cooked, there’s no need to grill anything.
And you don’t have to wait for the chicken to cool before adding it to the chopped fajita salad.
Plus, unlike canned chicken, the chicken will be full of flame-grilled flavor – all without having to stand over a hot stovetop or grill!
How to make chicken fajita salad
This chicken fajita salad is basically a chopped salad.
First, you chop up the hearts of romaine lettuce. (I prefer hearts of romaine since it’s crunchier than a head of whole romaine.)
Then you add the sliced pre-grilled chicken.
Next add the sliced bell peppers, corn, diced tomatoes, black olives, and diced avocadoes. Toss the salad.
Then sprinkle with shredded Mexican style blend cheese over your salad.
Serve with slices of lime for a zesty spritz of citrus and your favorite salad dressing on the side.
(A spicy vinaigrette or a cool ranch dressing would work.)
If you’re watching your calories, a few spoonful’s of salsa would also make a delicious and wholesome dressing.
It’s just that easy!
Additional chicken fajita salad topping ideas
I love how versatile this fajita salad recipe is. You can add almost anything to it!
- different varieties of shredded cheese, like Monterey Jack or sharp cheddar
- crushed tortilla chips
- pico de gallo
- dollops of sour cream or Greek yogurt
- chopped cilantro
- chopped onion
- chopped jalapenos
More Mexican style recipes
Do you love Mexican food? We sure do! These Mexican recipes are super easy to make.
Layered Taco Dip is perfect for parties.
Chicken Fajita Salad Recipe
- 2 hearts of romaine lettuce, chopped (8 cups)
- 2 packages grilled chicken strips (6 servings) sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 (15-ounce) can sweet yellow corn, drained
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 cup medium black olives, sliced into halves
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup shredded Mexican style blend cheese
- 1/2 cup your favorite salad dressing, served on the side
- 1 lime, sliced - for serving
- Place lettuce in a large bowl. Add sliced chicken strips, bell peppers, corn, tomato, olives, and avocadoes. Toss. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Serve with slices of lime and dressing on the side.
- Serving size: 1/6 of recipe
Originally published on April 4, 2017. Updated with new pictures and information.