Why am I sharing Tiana's beignets recipe from Princess and the Frog? Well, many years ago, we were sent a copy of Princess and the Frog to watch.
I enjoyed the animation, Randy Newman’s music, and references to the culture and food of New Orleans, especially the beignets!
My daughter Lucie loved Tiana, the princess story, and funny characters like Louis the trumpet playing gator. What child wouldn't?
We both loved how Tiana’s dream was about cooking her special beignets recipe, and her dream of opening up a restaurant. So fun!
Not since Ratatouille has a Disney movie appealed to the cook in me.
Bring on Tiana’s beignets!
One of Tiana’s specialties is her beignets recipe. Beignets are popularly served in New Orleans at breakfast or as a snack with powdered sugar on top.
Beignet recipes were brought to New Orleans in the 18th century by French colonists and became a large part of Cajun or Creole cooking.
If you go to New Orleans, you must go to Café du Monde to try their famous beignets with powdered sugar and a cup of their chicory coffee served café au lait style.
In fact, beignets are so popular in Louisiana, that they were made the official state donut.
I also recommend the beignets at Disneyland at the Mint Julep Bar. Best snack in the park!
Make Princess and the Frog beignets for Mardi Gras!
Celebrate Mardi Gras! If Mardi Gras is coming up, why not watch Princess and the Frog via streaming rental on Amazon?
Visit your local dollar store for inexpensive Mardi Gras decorations and beads!
It's also adorable! Both you and your child will love the easy recipes.
Another Disney cookbook: If you and your children love cooking Disney inspired recipes, check out The Disney Princess Cookbook.
Get into the spirit of New Orleans: Since beignets are hard to find unless you have a Cajun-style restaurant in your town, you may want to try making beignets at home – and Mardi Gras is just the time to do it.
After enjoying your homemade beignets, put on some Louis Armstrong New Orleans style music and dance around with the kids to work off those calories!
Looking for another delicious way to start your day?
Try these easy breakfast recipes:
● Blueberry French Toast Casserole Recipe
Tiana's Famous Beignets Recipe from Princess and the Frog
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- In a medium bowl, combine 2 3/4 cups of the flour with the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg. Whisk everything together.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, water, egg, and vanilla extract. Stir in the flour mixture from Step 1.
- Use some of the remaining flour to dust your work surface. Place the dough on it and pat it into a large 1/2 -inch-thick square. Dust the top with more flour if it gets sticky. Next, slice the dough into 2 1/2 -inch squares.
- Now it’s time to fry the beignets—be sure to ask an adult to help you! Heat 2 inches of vegetable oil in a heavy saucepan on the stove top until the temperature reaches 325° on a deep fat thermometer. Check the temperature with a cooking thermometer every so often while cooking. If it gets too hot, temporarily turn the heat down, or off.
- Carefully drop 3 dough squares at a time into the hot oil. Fry them for 3 minutes, turn them over, and continue frying for 3 more minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the beignets to a wire rack set atop paper towels to drain. Dust the beignets with confectioners’ sugar, and enjoy!
- Serving size: 1 beignet
Recipe and pictures used with permission from Disney.
Originally published on March 26, 2010 and February 9, 2017. Updated with new pictures.