Try this DIY Coffee Scrub if you’re looking for an inexpensive coffee scrub recipe to make into gifts for the holidays.
This coffee sugar scrub is made with coconut oil. It can be used as a hand, foot or body scrub.
This easy coffee scrub recipe makes wonderful homemade gift for friends, family or your kids’ teachers, too.
Have the kids help you make a batch!
The benefits of a coffee body scrub
Many experts claim that coffee body scrubs are good for your skin. That’s because:
• The coffee scrub acts as an exfoliant, removing dead skin to reveal new, healthy skin underneath.
• Exfoliating with a coffee scrub improves your circulation, which gives you smooth and glowing skin.
• The caffeine in the coffee body scrub reduces the appearance of cellulite and helps your skin look more firm and toned.
I keep a jar by the kitchen sink. It makes my hands feel less itchy and rough after washing a bunch of dishes.
I love the smell and how soft the coffee scrub makes my skin feel.
Make a variety of DIY coffee scrub recipes!
The body scrub recipe below uses nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla extract.
You can use any leftover pumpkin spice from Thanksgiving if you like. Or you can experiment with other ground spices like ginger or clove.
Another way to change up the scrub recipe is to use a flavored coffee like toasted hazelnut or French vanilla.
Have fun, experiment, and go through your baking cabinet and spice rack and use up some of those extracts and spices that you have too many bottles of!
Making and packaging the DIY Coffee Scrub
Can I reuse old coffee grounds? I prefer using freshly ground coffee grounds instead of used grounds. You may think a scrub is a thrifty and “green” way to reuse old coffee grounds.
However, I don’t think it’s a good idea to use wet grounds in the coffee body scrub. You don’t want the scrub to get moldy and gross.
What type of sugar? In this coffee scrub recipe, I suggest using a course white sugar like turbinado sugar. Sugar in The Raw works great for this.
You can also try organic cane sugar brands, as they both tend tend to be more course than regular sugar.
Avoid coconut palm sugar as it tends to clump and harden over time.
What type of coconut oil? You can use your favorite coconut oil. Some people like organic coconut oil and others feel that virgin coconut oil brands are best. I’ll leave that up to your preference and budget.
How to make cute homemade scrub jar gifts
Since you don’t want to give someone who’s allergic to nuts a coffee body scrub made with hazelnut coffee, make sure to label the ingredients on the gift tags, too!
Looking for more DIY homemade gifts?
Learn why Homemade Taco Seasoning can be a cool gift idea.
Easy Microwave Brittle is fun to make during the holidays.
- 1/2 cup ground coffee
- 1/2 cup coarse white sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon nutmeg
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3 to 4 drops gluten free vanilla extract
- In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients together.
- Add the coconut oil and vanilla extract. Using a fork, mix until all ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.
- Spoon coffee scrub into small mason jars or other airtight containers. Decorate with ribbon and homemade labels.
Variation: Instead of cinnamon and nutmeg, use 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Originally published on October 31, 2014. Updated with new photos and information.