You’ll love making Baked Pumpkin French Toast with Bananas in the oven - for a couple of reasons!
First, baking is always healthier than frying up French toast in a skillet in all that butter or oil. Second, as a mom, I’m tired of watching everyone eat their breakfast while I’m cooking away at the stovetop. By the time I get to the table, everyone’s done eating!
This easy baked French toast recipe takes 35 minutes to make. So get it started – along with that pot of coffee – before everyone’s up. Then set the table and put the Bake Pumpkin French Toast with Bananas on warm in the oven. By the time your sleepyheads wake up, they’ll have an awesome breakfast waiting for them!
Baked Pumpkin French Toast makes your weekend special
Do you love preparing a special breakfast on the weekend? This oven baked French toast recipe will certainly please everyone. Plus, it’s a lovely breakfast dish for Thanksgiving week when you have relatives staying with you.
While Baked Pumpkin French Toast with Bananas seems super indulgent, it’s a rather wholesome breakfast you can feel good about serving your family. After all, you’re using pumpkin puree, which is filled with fiber and vitamin A. Bananas contain vitamin B6 and B12, as well as magnesium and potassium.
While I know many people cannot have French toast without a dab of butter (or vegan buttery spread for the non-dairy folks) and some syrup, you can keep it to a minimum. The bananas and chocolate milk add so much sweetness that you don’t need much syrup at all. So, just add the littlest dab of butter and a drizzle of syrup.
Making Baked Pumpkin French Toast with Bananas allergy friendly
I like this easy baked French toast recipe because it’s versatile enough to fit in with just about everyone’s food allergies.
For example, you can use regular whole wheat bread or gluten free bread. For an extra special treat, use raisin bread – either gluten free or regular.
If you have dairy free guests or family members, use chocolate soy milk, chocolate coconut milk or chocolate almond milk. (I like having leftover chocolate milk on the side with breakfast. This time of year, there’s nothing like a mug of hot chocolate or adding some chocolate milk to your coffee, too!)
Baked Pumpkin French Toast with Bananas
- Cooking spray
- 6-8 pieces gluten free or whole wheat bread
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup egg whites
- 1/2 cup chocolate milk or chocolate alternative milk
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 2 medium bananas
- 6 small pats butter or buttery spread (optional)
- Real maple syrup for drizzling (optional)
- Place rack at the top of oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray large cookie sheet pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, pumpkin puree, chocolate milk, and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. Pour into a shallow dish or pie plate.
- Dip each piece of bread (both sides) in egg mixture. Place bread on sheet pan. If there is any egg mixture left after all pieces of bread have been dipped, evenly pour it on to bread in pan. Let bread soak in egg mixture for 5 minutes.
- Slice bananas thinly and place pieces on top of bread. Evenly sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon over bread slices.
- Place pan in the oven and bake for 20 minutes until bread starts to turn golden and bananas start to get translucent. Bread will be a little crusty along edges at this point.
- Remove from oven and top with butter and maple syrup, if desired. Serve hot.
- Serving size: 1 to 2 pieces of Baked Pumpkin French Toast
Originally published on October 14, 2014. Updated with new pictures and information.