Seeking spooky black cocktails for your Halloween party?
Then mix up a Dead Man's Kiss, a spooky black cocktail recipe your guests will swoon over!
This eerie Halloween cocktail involves making black vodka from scratch.
No worries! Once you learn how simple and fun it is to do, you’ll use it to make all sorts of black vodka drinks.
Why you should make your own black vodka for black cocktails
I read that Blavod, the only commercially made black vodka, is hard to find these days. And if you can find it, it's prohibitively expensive to make black cocktails for most Halloween parties.
Instead, you have two ways to make black vodka for black alcoholic drinks.
The simplest way is to use black food coloring to dye vodka black.
However, dyes tend to separate and sink to the bottom of a cocktail glass or the bottle you’re storing your black vodka in.
Or the black dye may make your Halloween black cocktail recipes taste kind of funky. If you’ve ever eaten black cake frosting, you may know what I mean. Blech!
Instead, to make black vodka cocktails like this Dead Man’s Kiss Cocktail, all you need to do is buy some black rice to make black vodka.
No worry, these days you can find black rice at most grocery stores.
It’s just that easy!
How to make homemade black vodka for black cocktails
I’ve purchased black rice at both Costco and at my grocery store. However, if you can’t find it where you live, you can purchase black rice online.
Vodka: To make black vodka for a Dead Man’s Kiss black cocktail and other scary black vodka recipes, I used marshmallow vodka since it’s sweet.
Or you can use a flavored vodka such as vanilla vodka, since it’s a sweet and a neutral flavor that would work in a variety of black vodka cocktail drinks.
You can also use plain vodka and sweeten it with simple syrup, if needed.
You can leave the rice sitting in the vodka for a week or longer. However, a day is sufficient as the rice gives up most of its color after 24 hours.
I felt a bit guilty throwing the rice away. I did taste a few kernels, and they were soft and flavorful.
At the time I was leaving town for a business trip and didn’t have time to use them.
If I was home, I would have saved the infused black rice leftovers, and tried to make an adult rice pudding dessert. Maybe next time!
How to make a Dead Man’s Kiss black cocktail
Since the black vodka is actually a very, very dark purple, I didn’t want to lighten the liquid up by using cream or even a golden liqueur. Instead, I wanted to combine it with amber and dark colored libations.
I went to my local, well stocked liquor store for inspiration and settled on Sabroso Licor de Café, a Mexican coffee liqueur.
You could use another coffee liquor like Kahlua.
Then I thought I’d add a touch of Frangelico, a hazelnut liqueur that I had at home. (If you are allergic to nuts, leave the Frangelico out or substitute it with a chocolate liqueur.)
But what to call this delightfully sweet fun Halloween cocktail recipe?
As a tribute to one of my favorite shows, The Walking Dead, the name Dead Man’s Kiss seemed appropriate for this spooky Halloween drink recipe – a bit dark, sweetly scary, and oh so enjoyable!
Looking for more Halloween party ideas?
● Serve up this pumpkin shaped Pimento Cheese Spread Recipe.
● Try this Halloween Martini: Eyeball Highball Cocktail.
● A Pumpkin Smoothie is an enticing alternative for those who don’t want to imbibe.
Ingredients to make black vodka
- 1 cup black rice
- 1 bottle marshmallow vodka
Ingredients for Dead Man's Kiss Black Cocktail Recipe
- Red decorating sugar
- Ice cubes
- 1 ounce black vodka
- 1 ounce coffee liqueur, like Sabroso Licor de Café
- 1/4 teaspoon Frangelico liqueur
How to make black vodka for black cocktails:
- To make black rice, place one cup of black rice in a clean quart sized Ball jar.
- Fill the rest of the Ball jar with marshmallow vodka.
- Store for 24 hours in a cool, shady area. Shake occasionally.
- Drain contents of the Ball jar over a fine mesh sieve into a pitcher or large quart measuring cup with a pouring spout. Toss the rice.
- Wash out the Ball jar and pour black vodka back into jar.
- Label the jar. Cap with a pouring spout.
How to make a Dead Man’s Kiss black cocktail recipe:
- Place red decorating sugar in a small dish.
- Turn the glass upside down and dip it into a small bowl of water. Dip the rim of the glass into the sugar.
- Carefully place ice cubes into the glass.
- In a small measuring cup with a spout, mix the vodka, coffee liqueur, and Frangelico together. Pour over ice and serve.
Can't find marshmallow vodka? Use vanilla vodka to make black vodka for this spooky black cocktail!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:2 ounces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 194Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 8mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 0gSugar: 16gProtein: 0g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated per the ingredients list. Serving size may not be accurate. Please double-check with your preferred nutritional app for the most accurate information.
Originally published on October 19, 2015 and October 4, 2016. Updated with new pictures and information.