I’m always on the lookout for healthy slow cooker chicken recipes for my Crock-Pot. So when I came across this delicious Slow Cooker Creamy Verde Chicken Chili recipe, I had to share it with you.
It’s from Trim Healthy Mama's Trim Healthy Table cookbook written by Pearl Barrett and Serene Allison of Trim Healthy Mama.
The cookbook features over 300 family friendly, delicious and trimming recipes.
It also has practical advice on how to healthfully nourish your family without chaining yourself to the kitchen.
In easy slow cooker chicken recipes like this one, Pearl and Serene use convenient but healthy ingredients like frozen vegetables, canned beans, and jars of salsa.
Slow cooker chicken breast recipes like this one don’t even require you to dice up the chicken!
Plus, you’re using your blender to mix up the ingredients. What could be easier than that?
In addition, I normally have all the ingredients in this crock-pot chicken meal on hand, except maybe the cream cheese and that’s easy to pick up.
I have a feeling that this Slow Cooker Creamy Verde Chicken Chili recipe will soon become a classic weeknight recipe at my home. I hope it will at yours, too!
Tips for making slow cooker chicken chili
Use a liner: Slow cooker liners are a huge timesaver and will make clean up a breeze. Once you start using them for your healthy slow cooker meals, you’ll never go back!
Dairy free? If you’re dairy free, I would recommend leaving out the cream cheese altogether. Do NOT substitute a vegan cream cheese. (Vegan cream cheese is oil based and will make a mess of things.)
Instead, if you want a little creaminess added to this easy slow cooker chicken recipe, add some unsweetened whole coconut milk or coconut cream just before serving.
Gluten free? If you’re gluten free, make sure to carefully check the label of chicken broth you’re using. Or use homemade chicken broth in your Creamy Verde Chicken Chili recipe!
Spice it up! If your family can’t agree on mild versus spicy, make your easy slow cooker chicken recipe mild with a bottle of hot sauce on the side. (My son and husband like spicy. I don’t!) That way everyone's happy.
Potluck and parties: This healthy slow cooker chicken recipe is perfect for tailgating or a potluck party.
Make it quick: If you don’t have 6 to 8 hours to make this in your slow cooker, 4 hours on high will work just as well.
Can I make this in an Instant Pot? YES! If you prefer to use an Instant Pot over a Crock-Pot, see This Mama Loves for her directions on making Creamy Verde Chicken Chile with an Instant Pot!
Looking for more slow cooker recipes?
● If you’re a fan of cabbage rolls, check out this Crock-Pot Cabbage Roll Casserole.
● Love buffalo chicken? Then make these Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sliders. They’re awesome for parties.
● This Crockpot Breakfast Casserole can be prepared the night before. Start cooking early in the morning for brunch.
● 7 Can Taco Soup is a hearty bean and ground meat chili.
● Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chili is made with beans and canned pumpkin.
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, thawed if frozen
- 1-16 ounce jar salsa verde (hot, medium or mild)
- 1-15 ounce can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-10 ounce can Ro-tel style diced tomatoes and green chiles (medium, hot or mild)
- 1 10-12 ounce bag frozen riced cauliflower
- 1 10-12 ounce bag frozen small-cut seasoning blend (a blend of chopped onions, celery and peppers)
- 1 1/2 8-ounce packages 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups frozen diced okra
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Mineral Salt
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Place chicken, salsa verde, beans, canned tomatoes, cauliflower rice, and seasoning blend in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Put cream cheese, okra, 2 cups of the broth, salt, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, and garlic powder in a blender and blend until smooth. Blend baby, blend until no green specks are left!
- Add contents of the blender to the slow cooker along with the remaining 1 cup broth and stir. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- When done, shred the chicken with 2 forks right inside the slow cooker.
- Serve with baked corn chips. Top with some shredded cheese, diced avocado, and maybe a little cilantro, chives, or chopped onion.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 507Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 150mgSodium: 1498mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 14gSugar: 13gProtein: 67g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated per the ingredients list. Serving size may not be accurate. Please double-check with your preferred nutritional app for the most accurate information.
Recipe reprinted from Trim Healthy Mama; Trim Healthy Table. Copyright ©2017 by Pearl P. Barrett and Serene C. Allison.
Published by Harmony Books, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group, a division of Penguin Random House LLC