With Labor Day weekend coming up and football season starting, I’m sure you’ve got lots of potluck or tailgating parties coming up. Since it’s still in season, watermelon is the perfect choice for a healthy party side dish. By now, I’m sure you’ve had your fill of Watermelon Mint & Basil Salad with Feta or something similar. So why not try this Asian Citrus Watermelon Salad using NAKANO Citrus Seasoned Rice Vinegar? This would go well with my Sriracha Chicken Skewers or teriyaki beef or chicken cooked up on the grill!
You can assure all your gluten free and nut free guests that the salad is OK to eat because you’ve used tamari sauce instead of soy sauce, and pine nuts instead of peanuts. Just make sure to double check that the fish sauce doesn’t have any wheat or soy sauce in it. (The kind I used didn’t.)
Asian Citrus Watermelon Salad
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seed oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon flavored olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon low sodium tamari sauce
- 3 tablespoons NAKANO Citrus Seasoned Rice Vinegar
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1/2 Thai pepper, seeded and minced or 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 5 cups seedless watermelon cut into 1” chunks
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- Whisk together sesame seed olive, olive oil, fish sauce, tamari sauce, vinegar, lime juice, red onion, garlic, ginger and jalapeno in a large bowl.
- Add the watermelon and toss to combine.
- Let sit 10 minutes.
- Add the cilantro, basil, mint and pint nuts to salad.
- Toss to combine. Serve immediately.
- Serving size: 3/4 cup