Yes, you read that right – I’m slow cooking mountain goat meat. As I found out when I made carne asada, mountain goat is so tough it’s practically inedible unless made into sausages or cooked in a Crockpot.
So for this month’s Secret Recipe Club recipe I went to Jen from Bean Town Baker’s blog for a little crockpot inspiration. I found her slow cooker recipe for Crockpot Pulled Chicken that looked perfect, as mountain goat (as opposed to domestic goat) tastes just as mild as chicken. Not only that, I had all the ingredients on hand except for the tomato paste, which I omitted and didn’t miss.
If you’re using chicken, slow cook this recipe for five to six hours. However, if you’re slow cooking mountain goat, plan to cook it up to a full day. (I cooked up my batch for 20 hours, believe it or not.) You could try this with beef or pork, too. (Slow cook those meat around six to eight hours.)
This slow cooker recipe gives a nice, smoky taste to your meat of choice. Serve your shredded goat, chicken beef or pork on rice or make it into a burrito, tostado or taco.
- 1 14 ounce can tomato sauce
- 3 chipotle chiles in adobo, finely minced
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoon smoked or regular paprika
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 pounds mountain goat meat – chops, steaks, roast, etc.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Stir tomato sauce, chiles, vinegar, agave nectar, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, chili powder and salt in a 6-quart slow cooker to combine.
- Add mountain goat, onion and garlic and stir to cover meat thoroughly.
- Put the lid on and cook on low until the mountain can be pulled apart – at least over night if not nearly a full 24 hours. Check often to make sure it’s not getting dried out. If the liquid levels are getting low add some water, broth or more tomato sauce.
- When done, shred mountain goat with a fork right in the crock. Stir well then serve.
- Serving size: 6
- Calories: 344
- Calories from Fat: 31
- Total Fat: 3.4g
- Saturated fat: 0g
- Unsaturated fat: 0g
- Sodium: 816mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 21.7g
- Sugar: 15.9g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Protein: 52.4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
More from the Secret Recipe Club!
Want to join the Secret Recipe Club? You can sign up here.