With warmer weather here – or nearly so – my thoughts turn to cooling down with a yummy chocolate shake. However, like other people with food sensitivities to dairy and sugar, I have to forgo ice cream shakes.
So I created this chocolate shake made with tofu and sweetened with stevia for those who want some creamy, cool chocolaty goodness, but who also want to avoid dairy and sugar-sweetened alternative ice creams.
Chocolate tofu shake
Makes four chocolate shakes
- 2 cups unsweetened soy* or unsweetened coconut milk*
- 1/3 cup Scharffen Berger Unsweetened Natural Cocoa Powder
- 2 tablespoons Stevia Extract in the Raw
- 7 ounces soft tofu, preferably made from organic non-GMO soybeans
- 1/2 cup soy unsweetened soy or unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 large handfuls, ice cubes
Directions to make chocolate paste:
- Combine 2 cups of milk, cocoa powder and stevia in a small bowl.
- Stir until combined into a paste-like substance.
Directions to make chocolate shake:
- Combine paste, tofu and 1/2 cup milk in a blender. Pulse until blended.
- Add ice cubes to blender. Mix on high until ice is completely crushed.
- Pour into two tall glasses and serve.
- Calories 129
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.5g
- Saturated Fat 1.1g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 83mg
- Total Carbohydrates 14.4g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2g
- Sugars 6.6g
- Protein 9.6g
- Calcium 10%
- Iron 15%
Nutrition Grade A from CalorieCount
Weight Watchers POINTS = 2
This Mama’s tips
- *I like Silk Organic Unsweetened and So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage.
- Use RICE DREAM Enriched Chocolate milk for an extra chocolaty shake!
- Feel free to sprinkle on a little more stevia if the shake isn’t sweet enough.
- Experiment adding almond, mint or raspberry extracts to your chocolate shake. Or how about some Triple Sec orange liqueur for a more grownup version?