With warmer weather here – or nearly so – my thoughts turn to cooling down with a yummy chocolate shake. However, like other people with food sensitivities to dairy and sugar, I have to forgo ice cream shakes.
So I created this chocolate smoothie made with tofu and sweetened with stevia for those who want some creamy, cool chocolaty goodness, but who also want to avoid dairy and sugar-sweetened alternative ice creams. This is perfect for vegans and those who are dairy free.
This Mama’s tips
- Feel free to sprinkle on a little more stevia if the shake isn’t sweet enough.
- Experiment adding almond, mint or raspberry extracts to your chocolate smoothie. Or how about some Triple Sec orange liqueur for a more grownup version?
- You can also use a chocolate soy or chocolate coconut milk if you wish. They're already sweetened, so you may want to back off on on the stevia.
- If you don't like stevia, try monk fruit!
Sugar Free & Dairy Free Chocolate Tofu Smoothie
- 2 cups unsweetened soy or unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/3 cup Scharffen Berger Unsweetened Natural Cocoa Powder
- 2 tablespoons stevia (liquid or powder)
- 7 ounces soft tofu, preferably made from organic non-GMO soybeans
- 1/2 cup soy unsweetened soy or unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 large handfuls ice cubes
To make chocolate paste:
- Combine 2 cups of milk, cocoa powder and stevia in a small bowl.
- Stir until combined into a paste-like substance.
To make smoothie:
- Combine paste, tofu and 1/2 cup milk in a blender. Pulse until blended.
- Add ice cubes to blender. Mix on high until ice is completely crushed.
- Pour into two tall glasses and serve.
- Serving size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 129
- Calories from Fat: 49
- Total Fat: 5.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Unsaturated fat: 0g
- Sodium: 83mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 14.4g
- Sugar: 6.6g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Protein: 9.6g
- Cholesterol: 0mg