If you’re searching for Mother’s Day drink ideas with a twist, try making mom a South of the Border version of the classic Bloody Mary – a Guaca Mary.
You can serve this avocado drink recipe as a mocktail or add some vodka or tequila for a full blown cocktail. This Mother's Day drink will be a hit for anyone who loves spicy Bloody Mary drinks!
You can read more about Ina’s in her book, Ina's Kitchen: Memories and Recipes from the Breakfast Queen. The book would make a lovely Mother’s Day gift if your mom’s a foodie or if she’s a Chicago native.
Mother's Day drinks serving ideas
Ian recommends pouring the Mother's Day drinks into a 2-quart pitcher, then pouring it into tall glasses. You can also use bamboo skewers to thread avocado, grape tomatoes, and pickled onions as a garnish.
Check out my Mother’s Day and breakfast recipes for more brunch and Mother's Day drink ideas.
Guaca Mary Cocktail
- Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons grated lime rind
- 1/2 cup lime juice, divided
- 2 cups peeled, cubed cucumber
- 1 fully ripened avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup raw cubed tomatillos
- 1 cup halved seedless green grapes
- 1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
- 1 whole seeded fresh Serrano pepper
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 6 dashes Mexican green hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/3 cups unsweetened coconut water
- Tequila or vodka, optional
- Avocados slices, grape tomatoes and pickled onions, optional garnish
- On a small flat plate, stir together 3 tablespoons salt and the lime rind. Set aside.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the lime juice into a shallow bowl and set aside.
- In a high speed blender, combine cucumber, avocado, tomatillos, grapes, cilantro, Serrano pepper, remaining 1/4 cup lime juice, celery salt, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, the green hot sauce, and black pepper. Whirl until smooth - mixture will be slightly thick.
- Transfer to a 2-quart pitcher and stir in coconut water.
- Add tequila or vodka to taste, if desired.
- To serve, dip glass rim in reserved lime juice, then into salt and lime rind mixture. Add ice and fill with Guaca Mary. Thread avocado, grape tomatoes and pickled onions on to toothpicks or skewers for garnish, if desired.
- Serving size: Approx. 11 ounces plus additional tequila or vodka, if desired
Picture and recipe courtesy of Avocados from Mexico. Used with permission.
Originally published on May 9, 2012. Updated with new information.