Some folks prefer gluten free brownies recipes to be more cakelike. Others want their homemade gluten free brownie recipe to be more like fudge. If you’re in the later group, you’ll agree with me that this is the Best Gluten Free Fudgy Brownies Ever.
This easy gluten free brownies recipe is the ideal dessert for serving to your sweetie for Valentine’s Day!
Making gluten free fudgy brownies recipe with some help from Kroger
If you’re a Kroger shopper, I’m sure you’ve come across their Simple Truth organic and natural products. I like Simple Truth products because of their high quality and wonderful value compared to similar national brands.
I love that there’s a Simple Truth version of just about all the ingredients I need for my gluten free chocolate brownies recipe – from cooking spray to powdered sugar.
However, Simple Truth doesn’t make a gluten free flour yet. Luckily, you can find several brands of all purpose gluten free flours in both the baking and health food sections of your Kroger store for this homemade gluten free brownie recipe.
As a special Valentine’s Day dessert treat, I cut out these gluten free fudgy brownies with heart shaped cookie cutters I found at Kroger, too!
How to line a brownie pan with aluminum foil
Are you tired of your gluten free fudgy brownies sticking to your pan? Then make sure to line your pan with an aluminum foil sling. Here’s how to do it so the foil doesn’t rip:
- Pull out sheet of foil that is much larger sheet than your brownie pan.
- Then place your brownie pan on top of the foil in the middle of the sheet.
- Carefully bring the foil up the sides of the brownie pan. You’ll now have a “mold” of your pan.
- Take some cooking spray and spray the inside of your brownie pan. Carefully press the aluminum foil “mold” of your brownie pan inside the actual pan. (The cooking spray helps the aluminum foil stick to the pan.)
- Take the excess foil and fold over to form handles. If you have a lot of excess, you can trim it a bit, if you wish. Or just let the edges stick out.
- Now spray the inside of your lined pan with more cooking spray so you can easily peel off the foil from your brownies once they cool.
The handles come in handy when these fudgy gluten free brownies cool. Then you can pick up the brownies right from the pan! Just peel off the foil and voila, no brownies to chisel off of your baking pan! Super easy to serve and clean up, too.
David Lebovitz has a similar method with photos here. David mentions using the dull side of the foil versus the shiny side. I was told by the people at General Mills that if you have the shiny side of the foil next to your brownies, it makes them shiny, too. So up to you if you want your gluten free brownies shiny or not. (They didn’t want them shiny for photographs.)
This Mama’s tips for making the Best Gluten Free Fudgy Brownies Ever
You can make this a gluten and dairy free brownies by using a vegan buttery spread or dairy free margarine. Unfortunately, Simple Truth Organic Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips may contain dairy. You can find other dairy free semi-sweet chocolate chips at Kroger like Guittard or Enjoy Life. I’ve seen both brands sold in the healthy food section at my Kroger store.
I like using a fine mesh strainer to sift my ingredients. Don’t skip this step. I found that my cocoa powder was super lumpy and sifting everything made the batter nice and smooth.
If you’re serving these gluten free flour brownies to your kids, you may want to leave out the espresso powder. Otherwise you're going to have some highly caffeinated kids!
Before cutting the gluten free fudgy brownies, make sure they’ve completely cooled. If you can’t wait, place them in the refrigerator or freezer for awhile. Otherwise, you’re going to have some hot and ooey gooey gluten free brownies! (Not necessarily a bad thing if you have ice cream. Just sayin'.)
Serve these gluten free fudgy brownies with powdered sugar. Place the powdered sugar in a tea strainer and tap over the brownies to get a nice dusting. So elegant!
The Best Gluten Free Fudgy Brownies Ever
- Simple Truth Organic Canola Oil Cooking Spray
- 3/4 cup gluten free all purpose baking flour
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 pinch fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup Simple Truth Organic Organic Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 3/4 cup Simple Truth Organic Light Brown Sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup Simple Truth Organic cup unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 tablespoons Simple Truth Organic Lite Coconut Milk
- 1 teaspoon Simple Truth Organic vanilla
- 2 large Simple Truth eggs, beaten
- Simple Truth Organic Powdered Sugar for decorating
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 7x11 inch baking pan with foil. (See tips on how to line the pan above.) Spray inside of lined pan with cooking spray.
- Sift the gluten free flour, espresso powder, cocoa powder, sea salt, and baking powder into a large bowl. Set aside.
- Place chocolate chips, brown sugar, butter, coconut milk and vanilla in a medium saucepan. Stir mixture over low heat until melted.
- Pour chocolate mixture into flour mixture and stir until combined. Add eggs and stir until smooth.
- Pour batter into pan. Place pan in center rack in oven and bake for 20-22 minutes. Toothpick inserted into center of brownie will come out clean if done. Top should be slightly crusty.
- Cool completely before removing brownie from pan. Can be refrigerated to speed up cooling process.
- Cut brownies into squares or with cookie cutters. Decorate with powdered sugar.
- Serving size: 1 brownie
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Kroger Atlanta. The opinions and text are all mine.