My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving, because I love to cook and eat! However, one of the challenges of the holiday is trying to figure out how to cook everything at the same time. That’s why I try to find Thanksgiving recipes like Slow Cooker Mashed Parsnips & Sweet Potatoes. Not only does using your slow cooker free up oven space, but you’re guaranteed to have warm and delicious mash vegetables right up until serving time all the way until you serve seconds and thirds!
This healthy mashed recipe features two of my favorite root vegetables – parsnips and sweet potatoes. Many folks find sweet potatoes a little too sweet. Parsnips are sweet, but not overly so. Slow Cooker Mashed Parsnips & Sweet Potatoes has a ratio of 2:1 (more parsnips to sweet potatoes), so you have the gorgeousness of the sweet potato color without serving a dessert-y type side dish.
Slow Cooker Mashed Parsnips & Sweet Potatoes is made even more healthy by forgoing any cream or milk. There’s no point in adding either as the water the vegetables are cooked in is all you need.
Plus, I used one of my favorite buttery spreads, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter! instead of butter, so it’s even healthier.
I Can't Believe It's Not Butter! is offered in the Original, Light, and Olive Oil varieties – my favorite are the Original and Light versions, both of which I use every day and in all my recipes.
I love how it tastes and how it’s instantly spreadable and measurable right out of the refrigerator. I adore cooking with it and feel it cooks up just as well as butter in everything from baked goods to eggs to sautéed vegetables.
Just one point of note, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter! does contain a teeny bit of dairy, so it’s not vegan. I can tolerate it even with my whey sensitivity, as I can manage small amounts of milk products without any serious side effects.
But if you’re allergic to milk, you may want to choose a vegan buttery spread instead.
The taste of the coconut butter would pair well with the parsnips and sweet potatoes.
The idea of using coconut butter sounds so enticing that even though I love I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!, I may give the coconut butter a try the next time I make Slow Cooker Mashed Parsnips & Sweet Potatoes.
Slow Cooker Mashed Parsnips & Sweet Potatoes
- 2 pounds parsnips, peeled and chopped into 1 to 2-inch pieces
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peel and chopped into 1 to 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 sprig sage
- 1/3 cup your favorite buttery spread
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place parsnips, sweet potatoes, and water in slow cooker. Place sprig of sage on top. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Turn slow cooker setting to low. Remove sage sprig from slow cooker.
- Add buttery spread to crock. Using potato masher, mash parsnips and sweet potatoes until you get the desired consistency. Stir in salt and pepper to taste. You can use an immersion blender if you want a very smooth mash.
- Place lid back on crock until it’s time to serve.
- Serving size: 1/4 to 1/6 of recipe