It may be the beginning of August for you, but it’s the end of summer for us since school started today. We just came back from a working vacation to Massachusetts. I was visiting colleagues in Boston while my husband was at a conference in New Hampshire. (The kids came with me to work.)
When we weren’t working, we visited Portland, Maine, as well as Portsmouth, New Hampshire, and in Boston, the Kennedy Library, Harvard, and the North End. (When things calm down from the back to school craziness, I hope to write up some restaurant reviews.)
My friend and frequent guest contributor, Holly Clegg, must have been feeling my distress in trying catching up on email, work, and laundry by sending me this easy to make grilled chicken recipe. Not only is it a perfect weeknight recipe, this would be terrific to make for parties, too.
The best thing about chicken is that most people love it – except for my son, Nathan – and it’s very affordable. If you’ve seen the price of steak lately, you’ll be glad that you have a delicious and healthy grilled chicken recipe at your beck and call!
Perfect on the grill
With the heat of summer brings the perfect grilling season, and I always look forward to the flavor the grill brings to meats and veggies. Try this outstanding twist on barbecue sauce with Spicy Glazed Chicken from my Trim and Terrific KITCHEN 101 cookbook.
Impress guests at your cookout with the exciting and bold flavors and spice, all while being diabetic and freezer friendly! Add some grilled corn, a large green salad and your favorite brownies or cookies and you have a fun-filled trim and terrific meal to enjoy those perfect, end of summer nights!
If you don’t have apple cider vinegar, any type of vinegar will work. No need to buy anything special!
Spicy Glazed Chicken
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat broiler. Cover baking sheet with foil.
- In small bowl, mix together chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and season to taste. Coat chicken with rub mixture and transfer to prepared pan. Broil 5 minutes on each side (can grill) or until chicken is done.
- In small bowl, mix honey and vinegar. Turn chicken again and baste or coat with honey mixture, cooking a few minutes or until honey starts to thicken and forms a glaze (may smoke a little).
- Serving size: 4-ounce
- Calories: 228
- Calories from Fat: 30 (13%)
- Total Fat: 3g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Unsaturated fat: 2g
- Sodium: 146mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 26g
- Sugar: 24g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 25g
- Cholesterol: 73mg
Dietary Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat
Recipe and photo used with permission.