For Mother’s Day, change things up by making mom a South of the Border twist on the classic Bloody Mary – a Guaca Mary. This drink combines nutritious avocados, with grapes, Mexican spices, peppers, and coconut water. You can serve it as a mocktail or add some vodka or tequila for a full blown cocktail.
This recipe was created by Chef Ina Pinkney of Ina’s Restaurant in Chicago for Avocados from Mexico. Check out Avocados from Mexico’s website for more recipes that would be terrific for a Mother’s Day brunch like Avocado Poached Egg with Diablo Sauce, Avocado Pineapple Smoothie, and Bacon, Egg and Avocado Breakfast Sandwich.
Yield: 4 portions (5-1/3 cups plus tequila or vodka)
- Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons grated lime rind
- 1/2 cup lime juice, divided
- 2 cups peeled, cubed cucumber
- 1 fully ripened avocado from Mexico, halved, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup raw cubed tomatillos
- 1 cup halved seedless green grapes
- 1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
- 1 whole seeded fresh Serrano pepper
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 6 dashes green hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/3 cups unsweetened coconut water
- Tequila or vodka, optional
- Avocados slices, grape tomatoes and pickled onions, optional garnish
- On a small flat plate, stir together 3 tablespoons salt and the lime rind. Set aside.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the lime juice into a shallow bowl and set aside.
- In a blender, combine cucumber, avocado, tomatillos, grapes, cilantro, Serrano pepper, remaining 1/4 cup lime juice, celery salt, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, the hot sauce and black pepper. Whirl until smooth - mixture will be slightly thick.
- Transfer to a 2-quart pitcher and stir in coconut water.
- Add tequila or vodka to taste, if desired.
- To serve, dip glass rim in reserved lime juice, then into salt and lime rind mixture. Add ice and fill with Guaca Mary. Thread avocado, grape tomatoes and pickled onions onto toothpick or skewer for garnish, if desired.
Picture and recipe courtesy of Avocados from Mexico.