Leave it to my friend, Holly Clegg, to come up with an Easter dessert that’s delicious, gorgeous and healthy. You can check out more of Holly’s trim& TERRIFIC® recipes at hollyclegg.com and The Healthy Cooking Blog.
Healthy Easter treats
Easter is around the corner and what a great day to spend with family. Around the dinner table or outside hunting Easter eggs, everyone loves to dive into a luscious, creamy dessert. The Heavenly Yam Delight is just that!
Easy to make, and layered in a trifle bowl, you may not have realized sweet potatoes could be an ingredient be in a delicious dessert. No one has to know that they are getting important vitamins, nutrients and fiber - but I can assure you it will be the hit of the family.
Heavenly Yam Delight
This treat is a sweet potato version of a favorite layered dessert. The perfect sweet to make when you’re in a hurry, wonderful!
Terrific Tidbit: 2 cups fresh cooked Louisiana yams = 1 (29-ounce) can sweet potatoes.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2/3 cup confectioners’ sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 (8-ounce) package fat-free cream cheese
- 1 (8-ounce) container fat-free frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 1 (29-ounce) can sweet potatoes (yams), drained or 2 cups cooked mashed Louisiana yams
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven 350F. In large bowl, combine flour, 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar, pecans, and butter. Press into bottom of 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Bake 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In mixing bowl, mix cream cheese and remaining 2/3 cup confectioners’ sugar until creamy. Fold in 3/4 cup whipped topping. Spread cream cheese mixture over cooled crust.
- In mixing bowl, beat sweet potatoes, cinnamon, and sugar until smooth. Spread over cream cheese mixture. Top with remaining whipped topping. Refrigerate.
- Serving size: 1/16 of recipe
- Calories: 205
- Calories from Fat: 57
- Total Fat: 6g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Unsaturated fat: 5g
- Sodium: 143mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 33g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
Picture courtesy of Holly Clegg.