Leave it to my friend and today’s guest poster, Holly Clegg, to come up with an Easter dessert that’s delicious, gorgeous and good for you. You can check out more of Holly’s trim& TERRIFIC® recipes at hollyclegg.com and The Healthy Cooking Blog.
Healthy Easter treats
Easter is around the corner and what a great day to spend with family. Around the dinner table or outside hunting Easter eggs, everyone loves to dive into a luscious, creamy dessert. The Heavenly Yam Delight is just that! Easy to make, and layered in a trifle bowl, you may not have realized sweet potatoes could be an ingredient be in a delicious dessert. No one has to know that they are getting important vitamins, nutrients and fiber – but I can assure you it will be the hit of the family.
Heavenly Yam Delight
This treat is a sweet potato version of a favorite layered dessert. The perfect sweet to make when you’re in a hurry, wonderful!
Terrific Tidbit: 2 cups fresh cooked Louisiana yams = 1 (29-ounce) can sweet potatoes.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2/3 cup confectioners’ sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 (8-ounce) package fat-free cream cheese
- 1 (8-ounce) container fat-free frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 1 (29-ounce) can sweet potatoes (yams), drained or 2 cups cooked mashed Louisiana yams
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven 350F. In large bowl, combine flour, 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar, pecans, and butter. Press into bottom of 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Bake 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In mixing bowl, mix cream cheese and remaining 2/3 cup confectioners’ sugar until creamy. Fold in 3/4 cup whipped topping. Spread cream cheese mixture over cooled crust.
- In mixing bowl, beat sweet potatoes, cinnamon, and sugar until smooth. Spread over cream cheese mixture. Top with remaining whipped topping. Refrigerate.
- Calories: 205
- Calories from Fat: 57
- Total Fat: 6g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Unsaturated fat: 5g
- Sodium: 143mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 33g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
Picture courtesy of Holly Clegg.
Don’t forget that you can save any of the recipes you see here at This Mama Cooks! On a Diet to an online recipe box by clicking the Save Recipe button below.