Mother’s Day brunch at home
I hate going to a brunch on Mother’s Day as the restaurants are always crowded and the menu is usually set. I understand your days are extremely busy, so when a special occasion rolls around, you don’t have all day to cook. A Mother’s Day brunch at your own home can be devised from a few convenient recipes that you can make ahead of time to surprise your family the next morning.
I love overnight one dish breakfast casseroles that you pop in the oven the next morning. This recipe is so easy to prepare you can make the night before and refrigerate or whip up in the morning. Using southwestern seasonings and flour or corn tortillas, you have a southwestern breakfast. For a heartier version, add some crumbled turkey breakfast sausage. Pick up some fruit and muffins and your meal is set!
Southwestern Breakfast Bake
Go southwestern with this fantastic, crowd-pleasing easy morning meal.
Makes 10–12 servings
- 1 (11-ounce) can Mexicorn, drained (Mexican flavored canned corn with diced chilies)
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 8 (6-inch) corn or flour tortillas, quartered
- 2 cups shredded, reduced-fat Mexican-blend cheese
- 4 eggs
- 6 egg whites
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven 350°F. Coat 13 × 9 × 2-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In bowl, combine Mexicorn, green chilies, and green onions. Line bottom of pan with layer of tortillas, top with half of the corn mixture, then half of the shredded cheese. Repeat layers.
- In another bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients. Pour over layers in pan and let sit 10 minutes.
- Bake 30–35 minutes or until puffed.
- Calories 141
- Calories from fat 34%
- Fat 5 g
- Saturated Fat 3 g
- Cholesterol 81 mg
- Sodium 373 mg
- Carbohydrate 12 g
- Dietary Fiber 2 g
- Sugars 3 g
- Protein 11 g
Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch and 1 lean meat
Weight Watchers POINTS = 3
This Mama’s tips
- If you can find it, add chorizo sausage to the breakfast bake for a very authentic, Mexican flavor.
- Garnish with avocado slices.
- Use gluten free brown rice or corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas if there are any food sensitivities in your family.
Photo courtesy of Holly Clegg.